American Airlines Won’t Let Teen With Down Syndrome Fly First Class

As a mother of a special needs child who has spent MANY MANY hours in the classroom with differently abled children of a widely varrying degree, Id like to add a little insight into this.

I side with the Pilot and AA.

Downs children, as a whole tend to be docile and very sweet, however ANY time you are dealing with mental and physical disabilities, you WILL deal with moments when the child becomes insecure, overstimulated, and frustrated. Unlike a quote "normal" child, Downs children as well as kids with other disabilities (Aspergers, Autism, mental retardation, CP etc) lack or are deficient in the coping mechanisms that many of us take for granted.

For us, long lines, grating boarding announcements, lots of new sights, smells and textures, long waits et are just irritating. To a child who may have difficulty coping with frustration, insecurity, overstimulation, fear etc, this can prove to be a recipe for sudden verbal outbursts, hyperactivity, anger, fear, and difficulty cooperating. When this happens, it is imperetive to separate the child from the situation and get them into a place where they feel secure. Loading them onto a crowded airplane (first class or not) is doing the exact opposite and could lead to non-compliance, agitation and has to potential to disrupt the safety and security of the other passegers on board.

IF you read the articles, it wasnt because they were flying first class. If the airline didnt want them flying first, they would have just downgraded them and put them in coach. The captain....not the airline...was the one who recognized the problem and felt that it was safest for everyone if the child take a later flight and have the time to calm down and adjust to his surroundings.

Granted, Im no child psychologist, but Ive spent more than my fair share working with my daughter and other special needs students.

I think people are just slapping service dog jackets on their pets anymore. Was in a restaurant the other day with my wife and a woman was holding a dog the size of a chihuahua with a service dog jacket on. What service does he perform - cleaning gutters?

You can buy all the materials on eBay for not a lot of money and believe me, it's gotten widespread. If you even look at them sideways when the animal starts running around the cabin like a Tasmanian Devil and having a poop and urine party, it gets 'actionable'.

Due to HIPPA, I can't go into details. But we recently put severely autistic kid (very low functioning) on a plane. With a adult supervisor, and hopefully a very powerful psychiatric cocktail prior to t/o.

He was under the age of 11 and like 300 lbs. easy. It took 4 1/2 people upon admission to subdue him. I can't say the airline or the destination. But during that kids stay at our facility he was beating up staff left and right. Sent several to the ER.

I was listening out the entire day he was discharged to hear if their was an air emergency.

Didn't hear anything. Musta been a damn good cocktail!!!

I grew up around special needs kids and adults. My aunt was seriously disabled and my mom taught the special needs sunday school class at our church.

Generally speaking a Downs Syndrom kid would be just fine on a flight and probably would be one of the best behaved passengers on the plane. However, if that kid is having a bad day or something about the airport/plane/flight/weather set them off they can become a liability to everyone. Don't forget that Downs kids are typically VERY strong.

I can say as a passenger who has paid for first class, the reason I paid for first class was peace and quiet or perhaps a little business chat. On one airline who will remain nameless, they allowed rambunctious kids who were with their parents onboard in first class with me. The kids proceeded to kick my seat and jump over it grabbing my hair from SFO->MSP. I stayed calm because I felt the parents were the issue(they were hammered drunk) and as a result weren't in a position to correct their kids. It did give me a negative opinion of the airline(the kids were acting out before they boarded in the boarding area) and mostly I was angry at the parents.

My mother-in-law is a special ed teacher/manager/director of education. She has introduced me to a a new level of sensitivity when it comes to disabilities. That said, I do believe that a disability that results in the legitimate discomfort of the nearby passengers, should be able to reasonably be denied boarding. In saying that, "discomfort" is not legitimate when the only limitation is that the person couldn't walk onto the plane themselves or maybe they couldn't stop talking about how excited they were. If they can't prevent themselves from encroaching on your space and the parents can't manage it, I believe you are encroaching on the territory where maybe that person should be denied boarding.

In the case that was in the news recently, I think the family was accommodated on the next flight. So why were the the passengers better enabled to handle the down-syndrome passenger? I do question this.

In this case, with the facts at hand, I have to side with the airline. The airline shouldn't have to educate themselves with the intricacies of every disability. Some things make a flight unsafe and uncomfortable for the 100+ passengers who are onboard the flight.

So a person with Downs makes you uncomfortable so they should not be on your flight?

So you guys think paying $20 to upgrade six feet forward will buy you some peace and quiet?

You never know when a 300 lb mentally ill passenger is going to start screaming and hitting you on the head with a wooden spoon as you are on final. Ahh, Alaska memories.

I would love to see the airport security footage of that area for the real answer. I flew a Saab full of physically and mentally challenged people to the Special Olympics several years ago. They were some of the most well behaved and interesting people. They were more polite and well behaved than the majority of people we hauled to HPN.

Assuming a challenged person is conducting themselves in a reasonable manner they should be allowed to sit anywhere but an exit row. This is going to be interesting to follow if it makes the news any further.

On the service animal note, the idiots buying and selling counterfeit service animal vests are going to set back the privileges those who use them legitimately have fought for, for years.

Rudabega, I know what you mean. I was dead heading home one day on a CRJ. Hope in my seat and doze off, only to be woken up by the guy in the seat next to me going bananas about being being in the clouds and light turb and on top of me. I was about to clock him when I realized he was pretty mentally challenged. Long story short the priest, FA, and I got him called down and to destination, where the airline banned him from further travel. WTF, who puts a person on the plane that severely challenged. I would guess the guy had a mental age of 6 or 7...

Any media story about people being treated unfairly on an airline is immediately suspect. If the kid was well-behaved and didn't seem like he's be a problem, of course they should have let him on. If he wasn't, they shouldn't. Curious how fact-free these stories always seem to be. Almost like the media are trying to SELL things based on our natural OUTRAGE about just about everything.

Any media story about people being treated unfairly on an airline is immediately suspect. If the kid was well-behaved and didn't seem like he's be a problem, of course they should have let him on. If he wasn't, they shouldn't. Curious how fact-free these stories always seem to be. Almost like the media are trying to SELL things based on our natural OUTRAGE about just about everything.

The news stopped being news years ago. They are all about getting ratings and will mfr, bend, twist, distort, etc just to get people to tune in. I wish journalism would grow a set and objective report the news. As Sgt Friday would say "just the facts"

Hold your breath on that one, Captain. Meanwhile, allow me to chat up the fat one while you score. Least I could do. ;)

Given the nature of this article, it is insensitive and NOT appropriate.

Well, see. Blue's dead. Frank's divorced. I lost my house. Nicole thinks I'm a total jackass. And now we got nine kids who are gonna get expelled from school, and you're not even gonna help them.

Well, see. Blue's dead. Frank's divorced. I lost my house. Nicole thinks I'm a total jackass. And now we got nine kids who are gonna get expelled from school, and you're not even gonna help them.

Damn man, I just watched part of that last weekend!

I've hated that Piven guy ever since. Just like I still hate Mohr from his role in Jerry McGuire.

Given the nature of this article, it is insensitive and NOT appropriate.

You should learn to relax.

My sister has downs syndrome, and I had to learn from a very young age that people are going to say stuff like this just to get a rise out of you. Somebody attacks somebody in your family PERSONALLY? It's on like donkey kong. But somebody drops a few "retardeds" to get you jazzed up? By responding like this, all you're doing is giving them more ammo and egging them on because they know that you're going to respond.

If I were you, I'd learn to walk away.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. None of us were there and as always there are two sides to the story where the truth is somewhere between the two.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. None of us were there and as always there are two sides to the story where the truth is somewhere between the two.

No no no!

Social media revolution!

American was wrongz! That poor family! Passenger Bill of RIGHTZ! :)

Sent from my TRS-80

Conspiracy theory alert: Just to throw this out there. Could the pilot just have created the PR nightmare for AA mgmt as the court system just screwed the pilot group?

Back