American Airlines MD-80 jet EMERGENCY LANDING!

Do they close the airport when that kinda stuff happens or do they just close that runway? What about when there is a bad crash, like the CLT crash did they close the airport down or do you just take off.

They said in the news that AA pilots are trained to land without any landing gear. Does anyone know who you would go about doing that or how you would be trained?

I think that it is special AA training, that or by special request on a simulator. That would be something good to know, just in case.

Well where would you get real training, that would require actually landing with no landing gear and seriosly damaging the plane? I mean I am no expert like Mr.Tenney but that is jusy what I think.

Uh, do you really want someone to land an MD80 gear up, just to practice? I think that'd be a really bad idea and a sure way to make American join USAirways and United in bankruptcy!

Land a REAL airplane with the gear up??? ON PURPOSE??????
crazy.gif

That's what they make SIMULATORS for!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Those damn pilots are so overpaid
mad.gif

[/sarcasm]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really...now that they have taken pay cuts...just like everybody else at AA has..

Ya know.... I wasn't gonna put that tag on there but I was afraid someone might misunderstand me and I'd start a war...
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I guess they could do it on a simulator, but you don't get the real experience. Anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Well where would you get real training, that would require actually landing with no landing gear and seriosly damaging the plane? I mean I am no expert like Mr.Tenney but that is jusy what I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, do you really want someone to land an MD80 gear up, just to practice? I think that'd be a really bad idea and a sure way to make American join USAirways and United in bankruptcy!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Land a REAL airplane with the gear up??? ON PURPOSE??????

That's what they make SIMULATORS for!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Now where did I say that landing without the gear down would be a good idea for practice? Someone pleeeeaaaassseee fill me in.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean I am no expert like Mr.Tenney but that is jusy what I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Rodney Dangerfield so aptly puts it ... "At last! Some respect!"

Oh by the way I have never landed an airliner gear up
grin.gif

Not to sound like a smart a$$ but it doesn't require all that much special training to land an airplane gear up!!! It's pretty much like every other landing - select the runway most into the wind, touch down slightly nose high with the minimum descent rate possible - you pretty much don't have to worry about braking or directional control - it''s going wherever the nose is pointed and is going to stop in short order. It'll make a lot of noise and scare the people in back but no biggie.

Jason

Back