American Airlines jet has close encounter with unidentified flying object (with audio)

How do we know these UFOs aren't time travelers from THIS planet? Maybe it's our future selves coming back a thousand years. No space travel required. Just sayin'.

I'm firmly of the belief UFOs are either top secret government projects or natural phenomena. But if someone is going to believe in wild hypotheticals, why not go all out. Anything is possible.

I like to believe it is Matthew Mcconaughey in a 4th dimension tesseract sending his love across time and space.

How do we know these UFOs aren't time travelers from THIS planet? Maybe it's our future selves coming back a thousand years. No space travel required. Just sayin'.

I actually think this is a more plausible explanation than aliens. Another option is humans from another universe in the multiverse (assuming it exists) that have cracked the code on travel between universes.

The reason interstellar aliens just seems so implausible to me is that if life was actually common in the universe, then it should have first appeared a few billion years ago, and a single intelligent civilization only needs a few million years to colonize the entire galaxy at sub-light speeds. If they were out there, they should have colonized this planet millennia before the first microbes evolved.

I actually think this is a more plausible explanation than aliens. Another option is humans from another universe in the multiverse (assuming it exists) that have cracked the code on travel between universes.

The reason interstellar aliens just seems so implausible to me is that if life was actually common in the universe, then it should have first appeared a few billion years ago, and a single intelligent civilization only needs a few million years to colonize the entire galaxy at sub-light speeds. If they were out there, they should have colonized this planet millennia before the first microbes evolved.
I guess it's possible they're out there, but most of them are dumber than we are :p

We always knew about gravity, we just didn't have a theory to explain it. And having such a theory hasn't really changed any of the things we already knew, it's just allowed us to make use of them. Similarly, I see no obvious way in which further understanding of the behavior of matter and energy is going to change the fact that there are fairly strict and evident limits on the behavior of the same.

But sure, let's say that some alien civilization with orders of magnitude more development time than we have had has worked out FTL travel, and somehow erased all EM emissions from their period of technological infancy, which would be a pretty neat trick. So now these hyperbeings who can completely disobey the laws of physics as we understand them have nothing better to do with their time than jet around the skies of this primitive backwater of a planet, occasionally getting CAUGHT DOING SO by the locals who are essentially amoebas to them?
Reading this made me think of one of my favorite comedians.

Plausible
I was reading up on psychosocial hypothesis not long ago and supposed flap correlation with rapid societal changes.

I do ever so slightly believe in things like unintentional telepathy, people I "click" with - friends or close g/f - we develop a tendency to verbalize stuff in unison very quickly. Somehow "thinking very loud" is a more plausible explanation, than, say, pheromones.

Plausible
I was reading up on psychosocial hypothesis not long ago and supposed flap correlation with rapid societal changes.

I do ever so slightly believe in things like unintentional telepathy, people I "click" with - friends or close g/f - we develop a tendency to verbalize stuff in unison very quickly. Somehow "thinking very loud" is a more plausible explanation, than, say, pheromones.
My mom told me about the whole "brain leaking" thing when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure Ray Kurzweil had talked about it at an assistive technology conference she went to. The whole thing sounded crazy to me then and still sounds pretty crazy now. While I'm not saying its impossible it makes much more sense to me that the more you interact with people the more your thinking with "synch" with theirs, leading to similar trains of thought when interacting. I guess you could call it extreme empathy or something like that? I am by no means knowledgeable about psychology or anything related to the mind so this is just my super-layman idea.

Maybe they did, and microbes never evolved here at all!

That would seem to fly in the face of all of the evidence. Unless you’re going the route of the crazy Christians who claim that the evidence was planted to fool us.

Though I suppose they could be out there, but Earth isn't suitable for them to colonize.

Evidence would likely still be everywhere after billions of years when it would take only tens of millions to span the entire galaxy. Something just doesn’t add up. Hence what Fermi was talking about.

when it would take only tens of millions to span the entire galaxy. Something just doesn’t add up. Hence what Fermi was talking about.

That seems to suppose a lot of things which aren't in evidence. I mean I'm inclined to think that "life" as we would recognize it is probably pretty rare for some of the same reasons you seem to, but it's not at all clear to me what dangers/hurdles there even are (aside from the really significant and serious ones we already know about) to interstellar travel. It may just be flat out impossible. We've no way of knowing at our current level of understanding.

That seems to suppose a lot of things which aren't in evidence. I mean I'm inclined to think that "life" as we would recognize it is probably pretty rare for some of the same reasons you seem to, but it's not at all clear to me what dangers/hurdles there even are (aside from the really significant and serious ones we already know about) to interstellar travel. It may just be flat out impossible. We've no way of knowing at our current level of understanding.

Von Neumann probes basically eliminate any of those concerns and still allow for complete colonization at sub-light speeds in a few tens of millions of years.

That would seem to fly in the face of all of the evidence. Unless you’re going the route of the crazy Christians who claim that the evidence was planted to fool us.

In all seriousness I meant that Earth could have been colonized eons ago and all life here is descended from/ evolved from the colonists. Probably unlikely though.

Audio is in the link.

Pilots of an American Airlines jet flying over New Mexico say they saw something fly directly over them that they cannot explain.

The strange encounter happened over the northeast corner of New Mexico west of Clayton, New Mexico as the jet was cruising at 36,000 feet traveling around 460 mph.

The unidentified flying object sighting was documented by the pilots when they radioed the Albuquerque Center according to The Drive. “Do you have any targets up here?” the pilot asked. “We just had something go right over the top of us – I hate to say this but it looked like a long cylindrical object that almost looked like a cruise missile type of thing – moving really fast right over the top of us.”

The jet was an American Airlines Airbus A320, flying between Cincinnati and Phoenix as Flight 2292.

The Drive was able to get a couple statements from American Airlines about the incident. The first statement did not confirm the encounter, “At this time, we do not have any indication the radio transmission was from the flight crew on board American Airlines Flight 2292 on Feb. 21.

However, a second statement had a much different tone, “Following a debrief with our Flight Crew and additional information received, we can confirm this radio transmission was from American Airlines Flight 2292 on Feb. 21. For any additional questions on this, we encourage you to reach out to the FBI.

The description of a missile-like object the pilot gave over the radio also lines up with another encounter the U.S. Navy had that is now commonly known as the Tic Tac encounter in October 2004
Sooooo... Fox is now promulgating "Mystery Wire" stories... So much Awesome.

The earth is flat, you know...
...and inhabited by descendants of "colonists".

I'm in... What's the ante again??

My mom told me about the whole "brain leaking" thing when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure Ray Kurzweil had talked about it at an assistive technology conference she went to. The whole thing sounded crazy to me then and still sounds pretty crazy now. While I'm not saying its impossible it makes much more sense to me that the more you interact with people the more your thinking with "synch" with theirs, leading to similar trains of thought when interacting. I guess you could call it extreme empathy or something like that? I am by no means knowledgeable about psychology or anything related to the mind so this is just my super-layman idea.
That would explain like 80% of it, but there's also the other 20.

Pilots of an American Airlines jet flying over New Mexico say they saw something fly directly over them that they cannot explain. ... that looked like a long cylindrical object.
That was the hooker's minge... [or, uh, mmm, whatever]

The coke was snorted at some time before the, er, "encounter".

Last edited:
Apparently, aliens are approximately precisely as rare as the humans who are sufficiently sentient actually to observe them.

Sure, now build one.

Are you implying that a civilization millennia more advanced than our own could not build a simple Von Neumann probe? That’s....unlikely.

In all seriousness I meant that Earth could have been colonized eons ago and all life here is descended from/ evolved from the colonists. Probably unlikely though.

I suppose it’s possible that an alien civilization could have planted the first microbes here. Seems like the really long game of colonization, though.

Back