American Airlines is a Gold Sponsor for the RTAG Convention

Thanks. The stubby green protrusions where munitions are hung on the -64 counts as a fixed wing, right?
You can try!

Seriously though, helicopter pilots are being picked up a lot of places after a year or so at the regionals. And a number of us are getting hired at AMCIs with fresh ATPs. It wouldn’t take you long to get there.

FWIW my flight school has gotten approval for a RW-to-FW program package. It was pretty interesting when they unveiled it in Feb. I’ll check on current status if you want @MikeFavinger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FWIW my flight school has gotten approval for a RW-to-FW program package. It was pretty interesting when they unveiled it in Feb. I’ll check on current status if you want @MikeFavinger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That’s awesome. Yeah, and if you guys want to drum up business definitely get involved with RTAG.

AA is a Gold Sponsor for the October RTAG convention. Their entire recruiting team will be in attendance clamoring to scoop up military helicopter pilots. @Dacuj whats up with this? I thought AA didn’t like RTP folks?

It's good PR to be at any event. Obviously military rotary wing aviators are very good at what they do. They just aren't the best choice for 121. I always suggest RTP guys are better suited for the 135 world initially.

It's good PR to be at any event. Obviously military rotary wing aviators are very good at what they do. They just aren't the best choice for 121. I always suggest RTP guys are better suited for the 135 world initially.
1624111000523.gif

Jesus F****** Christ this is pure gold, I might have to print this statement on a T-shirt,
No way am I blocking you, I can’t miss any of these gems.

Yes, it's my opinion. However, I have a WHOLE lot of time over at the schoolhouse and being in close contact with the higher ups in the Envoy Training Dept and have personally seen these guys perform. Sure, some of them do OK but a large percentage struggle and are given a lot of leeway to get through training AND OE. On the other hand, cadets are already trained and they really excel in the schoolhouse and as a rule, are a step up from the RTP guys in more ways than one. THIS is only a general observation and MANY of the people above who I mentioned are in agreement with me.

The only reason RTAG exist is because thanks to the FAA, it is more financially beneficial to the airlines to hire a military aviator than a cadet program will ever be. Ten years ago 250 hours and a multi-comm-inst rating was good enough for the airlines, I don’t really think they care about an initial skill set as much as they do their return on investment.

Yes, it's my opinion. However, I have a WHOLE lot of time over at the schoolhouse and being in close contact with the higher ups in the Envoy Training Dept and have personally seen these guys perform. Sure, some of them do OK but a large percentage struggle and are given a lot of leeway to get through training AND OE.

It’s interesting you say this.

The best pilot in my new hire class at Eagle was a Black Hawk guy. And our indoc and systems were taught by a guy who had flown helicopters in Korea and Vietnam (he’s still the best ground school instructor I’ve had).

Maybe they’ve changed, but eagle sure didn’t have a problem with rotorwing pilots when I was there.

Yes, it's my opinion. However, I have a WHOLE lot of time over at the schoolhouse and being in close contact with the higher ups in the Envoy Training Dept and have personally seen these guys perform. Sure, some of them do OK but a large percentage struggle and are given a lot of leeway to get through training AND OE. On the other hand, cadets are already trained and they really excel in the schoolhouse and as a rule, are a step up from the RTP guys in more ways than one. THIS is only a general observation and MANY of the people above who I mentioned are in agreement with me.
I’m intentionally wasting my time if for anything, to point some things out to newbies reading this who might have the myopic view you have.

ALL military pilots face difficulties in 121 training. Cargo, pointy nose, rotor… it doesn’t matter. Airlines aren’t giving them jobs and reduced minimums because they are going to rock through training without a hiccup. They are hiring, on average, a known product that has a historically high success rate, a person with demonstrated good work ethic, and a person with a quantifiable track record of succeeding in very difficult training. They aren’t hiring a trainee, they are hiring a future captain who has a foundation in critical decision making skills… skills that colleges can’t provide.

As many people have mentioned here and other forums you’ve been banned from, operationally, a military pilot and a college pilot are essentially the same operationally once they hit the line. Their procedural and regulatory knowledge aren’t different from each other and they both fly the plane the same. The difference, on average, is very long term.

Poeple at airlines with big jobs… jobs that are just a touch more involved than “involved at the school house” and “in contact with higher-ups,” are strategic thinkers who are looking at the 1000 meter target whereas you are laser focused on the 25 meter target.

None of the above is intended in any way to denigrate or belittle civilian trained pilots. What I’m talking is big numbers over a long term span as it relates to reliability and career success. Aside from a couple outliers, every pilot I’ve flown with at 121s have been good.

If I can go from flying a sled to flying a Saab 340 at a dysfunctional 121 regional a military RW pilot should have no problem with an even easier to fly jet at a large regional that has a lot of experience taking on low experience pilots. 121 flying is actually EASIER than 135 as you have much more support, most of the rules are black and white, and many of the decisions are made for you.

Back