Amazing day, Spin Training

Ophir

I had an amazing day! (Sorry to hear yours was no so great Mrivc. Sounds like you should have been in this plane.)

I went to my spin training for my CFI this afternoon. The pilot was the owner of the flight school here in SLC. He is an old Navy F-18 Hornet pilot who no owns the place here in SLC and up in Heber. This passion is aviation and aerobatics. So, we were flew the Extra 300L. WOW, it has a roll rate of 420 degrees/second. If you go full aileron it just rolls and keeps going! So sweet!

We did the brief for the flight, actually I should call it a hop or a mission, as was referring to it. It included power on stalls, power-off stalls, accelerated stalls and entering into spins in many different configurations. In the end we had some extra gas so we also did hammerheads, Cuban 8’s, flat spins, etc.

In the brief he told me to think about disconnecting the idea of mechanically flying the plane (i.e. for spin recovery it is usually P.A.R.E.= power to idle, ailerons neutral, rudder opposite of the spin, and if needed an abrupt movement forward of the controls to break the stall).

He wanted me to fly purely visually and “outside the cockpit”, meaning wings level is when you are level with the horizon, not indicated on the instruments (although I only had airspeed and altimeter anyway). The point being, the ways so many of us are taught to fly we forgot to react and instead we think only about the system we were taught. He wanted me to have “feel”.

So once up we did and inverted test to see if the inverted flight tanks and the oil were working upside down. Then it was my aircraft. A series of turns while climbing, some up to 45º got my feel alive and used to the short-coupled fuselage. And then it was into power off stalls. That was pretty much the same. Before we went to spins we did accelerated stalls: bank right 60º plus, establish a turn and just start pulling back until the thing stalls. Amazing how the 2G+ stall reacts compared to 1G. It is violent but it recovers quickly once you relax the back pressure on the stick.

Next were spins. We entered the spins going right and did this by applying full right rudder as soon as the stall was imminent. The plane pitched down and rolled heavily to the right and became nearly vertical, the spin then established itself and we held right rudder until the direction we want to exit came up. At that point then full left rudder, stop spin, level. Pretty easy. During this we also he the stick full back to allow the plane to establish the roll and then gently move the stick to neutral to recover with the power to idle. No forward stick movements were made.

The reason for no forward stick movement was that, as it was explained to me, the vertical stab is going to be the number one control surface to slowing or not allowing the spin to really wind up. If you keep the stick forward (horizontal stab showing the up position) this allows air to hit more of the rudder because the relative wind is coming from beneath you. If you pull back, the horizontal stab now moves into a position where less air will hit the vertical stab and as a result the spin increases it spinning rate. We did this as an experiment and it was incredible. First pull back power, nose up/stick back, establish stall, full right rudder, the plane entered the spin just as before. But this time he asked me to hold right rudder and after a spin, ease the stick forward/horizontal stab down position and the plane wound up at least three times as fast. I held it for about one full second and we went through about three complete revolutions, as opposed to the other configuration of about one spin in two-three seconds.

Anyway, it was incredible and what a fun plane. I haven’t had such and educational 45 minutes in an airplane in quite a while.

Wow, that sounds like a blast! I love aerobatics (even though I've only got about 7 hours of them). That thing sounds like a hotrod....420 degrees per second? Must look like a green and blue swirl out the canopy, lol.
cool.gif

Wow!

You did it "right" Ophir!

I did my spin training in a 152 and half of the time I was enjoying the training, and the other half I was worrying about all of the people that flew the plane before I did and if they had overstressed the aircraft.

Man, what a confidence builder! All I can remember after my first introduction was "...more...."

It is incredible how fast the earth becomes the sky, the earth, the sky [/repetend]. One of the most incredible tactile sensations is the responsiveness in the stick. Any little movement and the plane takes that input immediately.

Cool thing too, it was equipped with video so I got it on tape!

Cool stuff. I can't wait for my Extra flights with the "optional" maneuvers
smile.gif
, but it will be a few months still, I'm afraid. However, from what I hear we can get a video of our last flight in the Extra, which I will definately take advantage of.

Kick @SS!

I wish I could find an extra300 in my hood.
How much did that cost for an hour w/instuctor?

p.s. your avatar rocks, lance is a stallion

It was $200 for about a three hour session, including .75 hours logged. Worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
p.s. your avatar rocks, lance is a stallion

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel so stupid! I didn't recognize that as Lance. All this time I've thought that's what ophir looked like. D'OH!
crazy.gif

Man, that is sweeeeet! Coolest thing we got to do was a hammerhead with a snap roll in the dive; really drills the point home when you realize you can stall / spin even while going straight down
laugh.gif

Back