Am I reading this right....????

I believe the most junior CA at Delta has a March '98 hire date. Before 9/11, one of my husband's classmates was a 737 CA in MCO on the Express operation, and he was hired in October '99.

The reason that '98 hire is a CA now is because of what DE727UPS said, that a lot of people will choose quality of life over money & upgrade. After all, by the time you're able to hold CA at DL, you're not looking to build hours anymore, you're where you want to be employment-wise, and you're more than likely safe from furlough. Everyone has different priorities, I've held schedules I never thought I should hold. I could hold them because what I bid for (certain days off, commutable trips) may not be what the person sitting next to me in the crew lounge wants to bid.

Okay so then what makes the lifestyle of a F/O less stressful and less busy versus that of a Captain?

If your a really Jr. F/O your still gonna get the crappy schedules just like if your a really Jr. Capt. and sitting on reserve.

For me right now I think that I want to hold a Captains line. I'm young yes and this might change in the future.

Assuming I find a signifigant other and other extinuating circumstances I might maybe want to be around home more often like just always being on the go that gets old real fast I'm sure.

I'm sure the money as a captain is great and thats part of what motivates me to want to be a captain but also. It's a goal in life that I have set for myself. So naturally I'm very driven to suceed at that life goal.

Lastly as per what "Flychicaga" said about getting a type rating. Don't all aircraft more especially commercial aircraft require a type rating to fly them?

And wouldn't your specific airline give you a type rating if your either a new-hire or transition from one aircraft to another?

It's not that the lifestyle of an F/O is less stressful than a Captain, in general. I think what people are trying to say, is that the lifestyle as a HIGH SENORITY F/O is better than as a LOW SENORITY CAPTAIN.

Meaning that if you are a high senority F/O you will be able to bid the trips you want, on the days you want, and not have to do any reserve. But if you are a low senority Captain you will be stuck with all the crappy flights that none of the higher captains want, or you'll be on reserve.

"
Lastly as per what "Flychicaga" said about getting a type rating. Don't all aircraft more especially commercial aircraft require a type rating to fly them? "

I'm sure ya already know, but you only need the type rating to act as PIC (Be the Captain).. You don't need one for F/O.

Again.. Sure you already know, just wanted to clarify.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure ya already know, but you only need the type rating to act as PIC (Be the Captain).. You don't need one for F/O

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, if your an f/o acting as an IRO (International relief officer) than you'll also need a type rating.

Back