Altitude Chamber!

zombie5225

I went to the Andrews AFB altitude chamber today. Talk about fun!! Started the day out with about three hours of ground. Mostly dealing with effects of high altitude, respiratory system, inner ear.... Then it was off to the chamber. We did half an hour at sea level pressure on 100% O2 to clear out the nitrogen out of the body. After that we went up to 8,000 ft. Masks off, time for rapid decompression up to FL250. Once there we did the hypoxia demo. This was where it got fun. We got a worksheet with your signature, math problems, and a maze. I signed the first line right away no problem. Got down to the math problems, I decided 467+345 required to much thought, skip to the maze. I had trouble doing a simple maze!! After that everything got blurry, I was getting dizzy and light headed. I remember trying to sign my name again, and I remember turning the air back on to my mask. That's about it. According to the rest of the guys I was out cold. After that it was down to FL200 for vision testing. It was a card with a circle in 8 different colors and an airplane in the middle. You stared at the plane while off O2. When you go back on O2 its like somebody turned on the lights!!

All in all it was alot of fun and a great learning experience!!

How do you sign up for this? I'd love to do this and Andrews is right in on my way to fly -- after, of course, the TSA rectal search.

Fifty dollars. You have to register through the FAA. I did not do any of the paperwork, so I really couldnt answer it. Ill ask the guy next time I see him though.

Zombie,

Do you know if every Air Force base has a chamber that can be used by civilians? I think it would be a really neat and beneficial experience, I just hope I don't have to travel far to do it!

FAA Aeromedical Education Division (AAM-400)
Airman Education Programs
Civil Aeromedical Institute
Oklahoma City, OK
405-954-4837

[ QUOTE ]

FAA Aeromedical Education Division (AAM-400)
Airman Education Programs
Civil Aeromedical Institute
Oklahoma City, OK
405-954-4837

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man...

I'll have to give them a ring.

I *sniffled* while awaiting the final rubber stamp during my initial flight physical at NAOMI and a passing doc stopped, talked to me, gave me a down chit and told me to come back next week. I got rolled out of my initial NACCS class for that.....HARDCORE docs around there!

How about that anthroprometrics chair...I had a hot chick doing mine. More than a few jokes passed through my mind...

It's this chair you sit in where they measure every (well almost) part of your body. Hip to knee. Knee to ankle. Ankle to heel. Hip to shoulders. You get the drift...have a wierd shaped body? Seeya! No flight physical for you! And you thought your first class was tough....

flyitup,
You have the FAA located in Oklahoma City which does altitude chamber rides. I went down there for the class myself. Funny thing is, I think they are free through the FAA or at least I dont remember paying anything.

Yeah, I think it is free if you do it in Oklahoma. Andrews does mostly military training, with a few FAA classes every month. The best part about doing it on a military base is that you get to use military equipment. AKA Air Force helmets and face masks.

[ QUOTE ]
flyitup,
You have the FAA located in Oklahoma City which does altitude chamber rides. I went down there for the class myself. Funny thing is, I think they are free through the FAA or at least I dont remember paying anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome! I just found the first benifit of living in Oklahoma!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome! I just found the first benifit of living in Oklahoma!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Don'tcha mean O-K L-A H-O M-A Oklahoooooooooooooo-MA! YEAH!!
laugh.gif

Okay - `nuf of the show tunes.

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome! I just found the {edit}only{edit} benifit of living in Oklahoma!!

[/ QUOTE ]

There ya go, I fixed it for ya - as ya obviously mis-typed!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Very funny 602...
grin.gif

As of right now that is the "only" benie I can think of..

I'll make it my personal mission to come up with something else by tomorrow!
smirk.gif

Back