Alternate careers

haree

Hi everyone...

Nice to be back after a long time.Hope you guys still remember me..

I was researching for a few alternatives for airline flying since i'm not sure i'll make it
crazy.gif

So i was going through a few careers and shortlisted a few of 'em.. I'd appreciate if you could share your views on them and some notes about the nature and pay

* AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER

* AEROBATICS & AEROSPORTS (Flying or otherwise)

* AEROSPACE / AERONAUTICAL Engg (I hear aerospace engg are employed in F1 teams too
wink.gif
)

* Careers with ICAO / IATA (I met a guy and his job sounded great)
-- Accident Investigation
-- Air Route Planning etc...
and of course i know doug hates politics
grin.gif

It is good that you are looking at alternatives in the aviation field. Still make an airline career your goal, but it is always good to have a backup in case of.....(there are tons of reasons). It is even better having that backup in the aviation arena, because if an airline career doesn't work out, you can tolerate working in an aviation environment more since your around airplanes versus working in an office nowhere near an airport. At least, that works for me LOL.

Give ATC some thought, Sometimes i wish i had. Stable career. Govt money and you still have the knowledge to fly on your own time.

Hey Haree,

Ive been thinking about aerobatics for a while as well. However I have found it pretty difficult on getting good information about employment in that field. Obviously you start with aerobatics lessons but does anyone have any information on jobs there after, how hard or easy it is to get into that side of the industry? I have always loved that side of aviation as well but with our airline careers always dwindling on the economy I am gonna need to start looking into it a little harder. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give me.....

Aerobatics aren't really a career unless you're reeeeeeallllly good and you can do it competitively and teach it.

Aircraft insurance is an interesting field. I had a chance to get into it at one point and wished for a long time after that I had. It would have involved some flying to visit clients.

Haree,

How old are you? You may have a very good reason for giving up but maybe it is still a possibility. Air carriers in India are doing well and from what I have heard, they will continue to grow. Planning an alternate career is a great idea though. All the things you listed sound interesting.
I know a couple of airline pilots there. One of them recently ferried a shiny new 737-800 from Seattle to India! That must have been fun!

Mahesh

Quote:

"Give ATC some thought, Sometimes i wish i had. Stable career. Govt money and you still have the knowledge to fly on your own time. "

...Don't forget about the pension!

JR

"Quote:

"Give ATC some thought, Sometimes i wish i had. Stable career. Govt money and you still have the knowledge to fly on your own time. "

...Don't forget about the pension!"

... and the fact that over 50% of new hires wash out of FAA training at Oklahoma City, and that the job is incredibly stressful with a premature death rate of heart attacks, high blood pressure, etc. several multiples above other careers.

[ QUOTE ]
nd the fact that over 50% of new hires wash out of FAA training at Oklahoma City, and that the job is incredibly stressful with a premature death rate of heart attacks, high blood pressure, etc. several multiples above other careers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either they are overworked, or we are really bad.

hey

Well guys ... not too happy to say i'll be out of my teenage in 3 more months i'll turn 20!

The reasons why i opted alternate careers are because as some of you know ... my parents dont want me to be a Driver.
No parental support no $$$.. And getting a education loan is no a cup of tea in india.

Then of course i come from a family well known for a heritage of some physical disorders which ICAO wont accept in a million years
smirk.gif

My top choices are in the following order if i donot make it to the airlines..I'd like to hear yours too

1. Any other flying with good income.

2. Air Traffic Controller

3. Aircraft/Aero engineering

4. Airline/Airport management

thats all i can think of

Mahesh.. i think you saw one of Jet airways 737 900s. Every TV channel had a special report on it. God we indians!

Anyways.. keep this thread alive ....

Indians do like airplanes, almost as much as they like cows, and elephants. I am sure you can find some middle ground with your parents where you can either work with aircraft, and/or get a career where you can afford to fly general aviation (I know there is not much of that in India). Have you thought about using Kalpana Chawla to show you parents what a driver can accomplish.

Kalpana maybe a idol for some girls down here... but she's not anything more than a NASA astronaut for me.

India has its large share of Achievements in Aviation..
Did you know?

* Air-India was the first airline to fly a all jet fleet

*Indian Airlines was the first airline to fly a all women crew flight

*IA was the first airline to have a lady A300 A320 commanders

*Jet airways is the Launch customer for ERJ 175s

*JRD Tata pushed introduced aviation to the indian subcontinent on Oct 17 1932

* A great person was born on the same date 51 years later to achieve something....Guess whooooo
wink.gif

Haree,

Wow I didn't know the -900 was already delivered, I thought it was going to happen soon! The person I was talking about did ferry a -800 but several months ago I think.
I agree that getting educaitonl loans and going against the parents isn't easy in India. However if this is your dream, you should find a way. At least make an effort so that 20 years from now, you don't think "What if ...".
Are you able to apply to the Air Force? You did mention a medical condition so that may not be possible. The other option is to move somwehere where flight training is cheaper and more accessable. It would be good to get a degree anyway. This will also make your parents happy. During or after you get your degree, you can get your ratings and see if you really like it. Go from there.

Mahesh

I understand that, however if your parents are concerned with the imagine of an aviation professional I am sure her, and her family are held in very hard regard for her achievement.

Back