ALPA 'stash

Special MEC Meeting

At a special meeting of the Delta Master Executive Council of the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), members elected Capt. Mike Donatelli as Chairman of the Delta MEC. Captain Donatelli’s term will begin immediately continuing until December 31, 2014.

Captain Donatelli is a Detroit based Boeing 777 pilot at Delta Air Lines, Inc. He was hired by Delta in 1987. He has served ALPA most recently as ALPA National Strategic Preparedness & Strike Committee (SPSC) Chairman (2007 – present). Other roles include ALPA Delegate AFL-CIO Quadrennial Conventions, Delta MEC Strike Chairman, and ALPA Council 43 Vice-Chairman (Delta/ORD).

Captain Donatelli received a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from the United States Air Force Academy in 1979. He served as a Combat Fighter Pilot on the A-10 Thunderbolt II at RAF Bentwaters, UK. Additionally, he was a United States Air Force Weapons School Instructor in Las Vegas, NV. He served in the Wisconsin Air National Guard and retired from the USAF in 1999 as Lieutenant Colonel.

Captain Donatelli stated that he “will continue to emphasize both a collaborative relationship with the company, and I will place an emphasis on MEC strategic planning in order to ensure the Delta pilot careers are protected. Preparation is key; execution is paramount.”

Mike and I did some of the NASA ADS/NextGen evaluations at NASA/Langley Research Center in Virginia a few years ago. The simulator was a sidestick 757 and we had some goof around time after the evaluations were done.

He demonstrated flying in formation with a couple other aircraft flying patterns around the airport and made it look pretty simple.

So then it was my turn to try some formation flying and I had a couple midairs and just embarrassed myself.

Not that this is germane to anything, just a little 'memory snippet' I thought I'd share.

Back