ALPA dues increase fails

That's certainly not what the posts were saying when Duane Woerth was in that seat and Prater was going to take over.

My posts? Sorry, but no. I don't even think I was posting here back then.

I supported Duane from the beginning and made it clear to anyone who would listen that Prater didn't have near the experience necessary for the position. He's in way over his head. Duane was perfect in that position. I was very sorry to see him go, and I guarantee that we wouldn't have these silly problems like Age 65 and uSAPa if he had been in office for the past two years instead of Prater. Hopefully Paul Rice will run for President in 2010.

Sorry, but I still say that's a horrible idea. I could go for making the magazine cheaper by cutting down on the color pics and such, but eliminating it wouldn't be good. A union needs to communicate with the membership, and the magazine is a good way to do that.

Never said anything about eliminating it, just making it on-line. It's probably iffy on if a majority of the membership even reads the magazine. I know I glance through it once, and read the stuff that interests me, then it gets tossed. Maybe once or twice a year there's an article in there worth keeping. Putting it on-line would save in printing and shipping along with making it archived. Good for the new guys since they have instant access to back issues if they wanna go back and re-read something that was published before they were in ALPA. Good for the rest of us just in case something that didn't affect us 6 months ago suddenly does, and we can go back an read it again.

Like I said, if someone still wants it mailed to them in a printed copy, no problem. Just pay a little extra per month like you would any other magazine subscription.

Making it an online-only publication would probably reduce the readership by 75%. Most ALPA members don't even know how to log on to the ALPA website. Printed copies get left in airplane cockpits where other crewmembers pick them up to read when they get bored. Sorry, but I just don't think it's a good idea to eliminate this method of printed communication with the membership. Besides, it wouldn't even come close to solving the budget crisis.

Making it an online-only publication would probably reduce the readership by 75%. Most ALPA members don't even know how to log on to the ALPA website. Printed copies get left in airplane cockpits where other crewmembers pick them up to read when they get bored. Sorry, but I just don't think it's a good idea to eliminate this method of printed communication with the membership. Besides, it wouldn't even come close to solving the budget crisis.

Well don't you see that as a problem? Shouldn't the brains at ALPA figure out why 75% have no idea how to log on?

I disagree with that percentage by the way. Maybe 75% don't log on, but I'm betting most know how, they just don't care one iota.

As for Kellwolfs idea, it's a great one. If you want the mag, pay $10 a year to cover the shipping. I guarantee many members who receive the mag take it from the mailbox and insert it into file 13.

Well don't you see that as a problem? Shouldn't the brains at ALPA figure out why 75% have no idea how to log on?

I disagree with that percentage by the way. Maybe 75% don't log on, but I'm betting most know how, they just don't care one iota.

The problem is that most members are apathetic and won't go out of their way to receive information. If you send it to them in the mail, then lots of them will throw it in their flight bag or overnight bag to read at work or on the commute. If you only put it online, then only those who go out of their way to receive the information will get it. The goal is to provide as much education to as many members as possible.

Did you guy see the votes. Nice Job UAL. Without their votes against, it might have passed.

My posts? Sorry, but no. I don't even think I was posting here back then

No, I didn't mean you specifically...my apologies if I implied that from my post.

You guys know I have no dog in this fight -- as a military dude, I am not personally involved in any of this. As such, I have the luxury to simply observe and learn, such that when it's time for me to join your ranks I'll be a little educated.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that both Woerth and Prater have been initially acclaimed as The Messiah when they were initially voted in to lead ALPA. Some time later, however, they both magically morph into the absolute worst leader ever known to the organizition.

At least, that's what you'd gather based on the general pulse of the ALPA membership's postings in various places on the internet (and speaking to a VERY SMALL sample of ALPA members personally).

Your exact quote about Prater could have been applied to "Woerthless" two or three years ago...at the same time that Prater was being hailed as a "real union leader" who had actually struck and stood for principles and furthered the profession, yada yada.

So, I certainly wasn't being critical of your statement -- which could be 100% true for all I know -- I was more commenting on how quickly attitudes about leadership in ALPA change.

Did you guy see the votes. Nice Job UAL. Without their votes against, it might have passed.

Yep, the UAL guys have proven once again that they know what true trade unionism is about. This wouldn't have affected them one bit, yet they still did the right thing to protect the "little guys." Very admirable.

No, I didn't mean you specifically...my apologies if I implied that from my post.

You guys know I have no dog in this fight -- as a military dude, I am not personally involved in any of this. As such, I have the luxury to simply observe and learn, such that when it's time for me to join your ranks I'll be a little educated.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that both Woerth and Prater have been initially acclaimed as The Messiah when they were initially voted in to lead ALPA. Some time later, however, they both magically morph into the absolute worst leader ever known to the organizition.

At least, that's what you'd gather based on the general pulse of the ALPA membership's postings in various places on the internet (and speaking to a VERY SMALL sample of ALPA members personally).

Your exact quote about Prater could have been applied to "Woerthless" two or three years ago...at the same time that Prater was being hailed as a "real union leader" who had actually struck and stood for principles and furthered the profession, yada yada.

So, I certainly wasn't being critical of your statement -- which could be 100% true for all I know -- I was more commenting on how quickly attitudes about leadership in ALPA change.

I see what you're saying, and you're absolutely right about the general membership. It happens on the local level also. A new MEC Chair gets elected and the pilot all think he'll be great. Then, after just a few months, they'll hate him just as much as the last guy. Being a union rep, especially the top dog, is never an easy position to be in.

However, it's a different story when you talk to guys that have actually worked side by side with them. I know both Woerth and Prater and did work for National under both administrations. I've been consistent about my opinions about both of them. I've always supported Duane because I've seen him in action and know him to be someone who knows his #### and knows how to get things done. Unfortunately, I've also seen Prater in action, and I've been less than impressed. He never had the experience for the position, and he's proven over and over again to not have the political acumen to get things done. He only managed to get elected because of some political maneuvering by his own MEC and the old UAL MEC. The entire BOD was shocked when he got elected. About 30 seconds of dead silence after the vote was announced, and then all hell broke loose as we tried to figure out what the hell to do now. Even the guys that voted for him couldn't believe that he actually got it. It was an interesting BOD meeting.

I think it's a leadership thing. After a poor leader has been in for a while, the new guy on the blazing path is seen as a Messiah. Trust me, if Obama gets elected and doesn't live up to the hype, he'll be labeled a poor leader as well, even if he's doing a good job as president.

I like the magazine. It always has fairly interesting things in it. I also prefer reading something in my hands, so I like that it is still a regular magazine.

Edit: Heh, sorry for the semi-necropost! :p

Prater is failing you. He was never qualified for that job in the first place. The light at the end of the tunnel is that he only has 2.4 years left in his term. Counting down the months....

Amen!!!

Think were we would be if age 65 didn't have the about face and didn't go through. There would be alot of people retiring and would create alot of movement or atleast reduce some of the furloughs right now.

As for Kellwolfs idea, it's a great one. If you want the mag, pay $10 a year to cover the shipping. I guarantee many members who receive the mag take it from the mailbox and insert it into file 13.

Mine sits next to the can.:rolleyes:

One thought I had regarding how to increase revenue. I don't know how, or even if, this would work, but open up membership to anyone who holds a CPL or better, and is and currently employed as a professional pilot or instructor. It would be kind of like a quasi-AOPA. Pay your dues, and in return you get all of the benefits that ALPA offers, like the legal services and such. Obviously the could not represent you in collective bargaining without an election and so forth, but the other benefits of ALPA could be made available to anyone willing to pay the dues. A side benefit to this arrangement would be that it would probably be an advantage when it came to organizing a pilot group.

Just a thought anyway

Dont all magazines make money off the advertisements? Airline Pilot should be no different. Why cant they sell ad space on there?

The primary purpose of most magazines is to make a profit. The primary purpose of Airline Pilot magazine is to inform the Association's members.

Back