Almost declared an emergency

IThe system is designed to take you home if it all goes to pot. I.E. In a single engine aircraft, if your governor fails your prop will go to the high speed stops, which slow you down but allows you to continue to fly.

Can you elaborate on this mechanism?

If you "almost" need to declare an emergency, you should be declaring an emergency. That's how you know to declare. :)

Hopefully everything turns out okay, and the fire crews get some practice and everybody is happy. And, with all the pressure of an emergency you're protected by the FARs if you screw up.

Hey, I sympathize with you. On my safe for solo checkride in the T-28 we had a low pitch prop governor failure. Fortunately, we were in the bounce pattern at Waldron Field, an outlying facility for NAS Corpus Christi.

We declared and emergency, did the procedures and landed. Not a big deal, I thought at the time. However, the CO seemed to think it was a big deal. Every student in the squadron was drilled on low pitch prop governor failures for a long time afterwards.

If you "almost" need to declare an emergency, you should be declaring an emergency. That's how you know to declare. :)

Hopefully everything turns out okay, and the fire crews get some practice and everybody is happy. And, with all the pressure of an emergency you're protected by the FARs if you screw up.

Everything turned out fine. Landed the plane uneventfully. Glad I didn't screw up and glad my instructor drilled me with emergency procedures otherwise I probably reacted very different.

Yep, tough IPs are a pain in the tookus. Until the day you're forced to use what they taught you. Then, they're worth their weight in gold.

Everything turned out fine. Landed the plane uneventfully. Glad I didn't screw up and glad my instructor drilled me with emergency procedures otherwise I probably reacted very different.

Good job getting down safely! Just don't be hesitant to declare if you have to.

<-- Emergency declarer. :buck:

Good job getting down safely! Just don't be hesitant to declare if you have to.

<-- Emergency declarer. :buck:

I definitely wont hesitate next time. I learned a lot yesterday. I always knew it was a matter of time before something happened. I'm a firm believer in "prepare for the worst, plan for the best". I think that helped yesterday.

Can you elaborate on this mechanism?

Generally speaking, single engine aircraft with controllable pitch props are setup so that you adjust the prop pitch using varying amount of oil pressure going into the governor. On single's, the systems are generally (as in, I haven't seen a system not setup this way) setup so that the governor is resisting the weight of the counterweights that are in the prop. I.E. Without the governor, the weights move the prop to the high pitch limit. The alternative (which you see on twins) is that the prop feathers (again, prevented at shutdown by low RPM locking pins).

Manufactures set the prop up this way so that if you lose the governor, the prop goes to a climb pitch. The alternative to this would be the engine feathering and putting you in a situation where you have to make an off airport landing.

Does that make sense? If not give me a ring, I've got an Arrow POH sitting around (maybe even a 182 POH, not really too sure) and we could go through the system more fully if you'd like.

Everytime we get a C-5 in the air, that's an emergency in itself. Had an EP today (bleed duct overheat). Usually the emergencies aren't a big deal--follow the procedure in the book, CRM the issue, declare what assistance you need from ATC, and land the jet. Worry about the paperwork later. ;)

sounds like you handled everything very well. I once had an alternator fail in a 182 right after depature in IMC. I told the controler I needed vectors to the approach at my departure airport due to "mechanical problems" The controller actually declared an emergency for me and I had the whole parade of fire trucks, ambulances, and cops along the runway when i landed. at the time, I was kind of worried about it, but looking back, I am glad that the controller did that for me even though it really wasnt that serious being that I was only 5 minutes from the airport.

There was no paperwork, and I was never contacted by the FAA. I did file an ASRS report though, and i think the original poster in this thread should do the same.

sounds like you handled everything very well. I once had an alternator fail in a 182 right after depature in IMC. I told the controler I needed vectors to the approach at my departure airport due to "mechanical problems" The controller actually declared an emergency for me and I had the whole parade of fire trucks, ambulances, and cops along the runway when i landed. at the time, I was kind of worried about it, but looking back, I am glad that the controller did that for me even though it really wasnt that serious being that I was only 5 minutes from the airport.

There was no paperwork, and I was never contacted by the FAA. I did file an ASRS report though, and i think the original poster in this thread should do the same.

Its my understanding that the ASRS reports are for unintentional violations made. That's why I didn't file a report. Am I wrong or right in that?

Its my understanding that the ASRS reports are for unintentional violations made. That's why I didn't file a report. Am I wrong or right in that?

That's my understanding also. I have filed an ASRS report before, when I thought I might have been in the wrong place near Bravo (wasn't even close to the airspace. While on flight following crossed under some heavy traffic that might have been a bit low, but still filed an ASRS to protect myself in case a 'conversation' ensued later ).

I had a mechanical recently, and consulted AOPA legal services, who told me an ASRS really wasn't necessary for my circumstance, and I did not file. BTW, if you don't have AOPA legal, you might consider it. Definitely gave me some peace of mind.

I would think that with no other incident associated with your return to land, there would be no enforcement action possible. But, you never know, maybe somebody tells the FAA that they're sure you didn't do a prop cycle during your runup, and they bring 'careless and reckless' charges up. An ASRS in that case lets the PIC explain his side before any enforcement activities get started, and might even bring a halt to such actions by the FAA if you have that report receipt in hand.

I would think that with no other incident associated with your return to land, there would be no enforcement action possible. But, you never know, maybe somebody tells the FAA that they're sure you didn't do a prop cycle during your runup, and they bring 'careless and reckless' charges up. An ASRS in that case lets the PIC explain his side before any enforcement activities get started, and might even bring a halt to such actions by the FAA if you have that report receipt in hand.

exactly! ANYTHING abnormal that happens in an airplane can somehow be turned around and blamed on the pilot. Almost every NTSB report I read starts the causes of the accident as "Pilots failure to.." even if it seemingly had nothing to do with pilot error.

Not to mention, its nice to add to the database that NASA has compiled whether your worried about a violation or not. Thats my opinion anyway. In 6 years of flying, Ive filed about 10 ASRS reports for various reasons, and only 2 were a result of minor mistakes I made.

The real reason for the ASRS is to collect safety related reports and build an informational database that will help all pilots. The get-out-of-jail-free card is just the carrot on the end of the stick to entice people to use the system.

File a NASA ASRS for anything unusual. Let them sort out the wheat from the chaff.

The real reason for the ASRS is to collect safety related reports and build an informational database that will help all pilots. The get-out-of-jail-free card is just the carrot on the end of the stick to entice people to use the system.

File a NASA ASRS for anything unusual. Let them sort out the wheat from the chaff.

+1

I think that the use of the term "NASA report" and the foot-stomping of the report's use to help protect pilots from violation has completely obscured the real purpose of the program.

I bet there are a lot of people who don't even know what the report/program is called, or why it is done. My CFI certainly didn't explain it well to me when I was getting my PPL.

What is it called of the pick-up truck with a fire extinguisher on the back greets your landing, after discussing and troubleshooting a voltage regulator problem over the unicom with a mechanic?

:banghead:

Well...its been filed.

Might as well cover all bases. Don't need anything coming back around to me.

I must ask. Was in an audible over speed, or just indicating on the gauge? My boss freaked out one day climbing out from ORF in the Cirrus when the tach started fluctuating wildly between 2100 and 2800 RPM, which of course caused the indicator to turn red. I calmed him down by explaining that if the prop was REALLY doing what the gauge said, you'd hear it and feel as well. Sure enough, they found a bad tach sensor on the back of the magneto

Everytime we get a C-5 in the air, that's an emergency in itself. Had an EP today (bleed duct overheat). Usually the emergencies aren't a big deal--follow the procedure in the book, CRM the issue, declare what assistance you need from ATC, and land the jet. Worry about the paperwork later. ;)

It ain't a pro-sortie unless you open section 3!!!

Sometimes it gets so "routine" you don't think about how things can quickly go south leaving you in one helluva situation.

As for your govenor problem, looks like you lived to tell and learn about it...good on ya!

Back