All Work & No Play.

Good read. I like the "work to live, don't live to work" motto. I love flying and I hope that I'll never have to do anything else for a living, because frankly, I'm no good at anything else. That said, when I'm on the phone trying to coordinate getting a broken airplane fixed or waiting to hear where the hell I'm going to be spending the night that night, or on day 21 away from home flying 8 hours a day then heading back to my crappy hotel room to spend the night in solitude, it's a job that sucks about like some other jobs.

That said, when I'm on the phone trying to coordinate getting a broken airplane fixed or waiting to hear where the hell I'm going to be spending the night that night, or on day 21 away from home flying 8 hours a day then heading back to my crappy hotel room to spend the night in solitude, it's a job that sucks about like some other jobs.

I always thought that part of the job was kinda fun, and it broke up the monotony of staying in one place mowing the grass for 8 hours a day.

Being on the road for 3+ weeks, not so much...

This is one of the reasons why I still teach. Also finding ways to keep occupied during slow times on the road is just as important.

Last edited:
Good read. I like the "work to live, don't live to work" motto. I love flying and I hope that I'll never have to do anything else for a living, because frankly, I'm no good at anything else. That said, when I'm on the phone trying to coordinate getting a broken airplane fixed or waiting to hear where the hell I'm going to be spending the night that night, or on day 21 away from home flying 8 hours a day then heading back to my crappy hotel room to spend the night in solitude, it's a job that sucks about like some other jobs.

Don't equate "flying job" with "crappy flying job". I know you are doing what you need to do to get competitive, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel (other than the few people that get unlucky their entire career). In my job now, if a plane breaks I just call MX over the radio or the phone (well, normally I watch the captain do it) and then go back to reading my book. I never see a hotel room unless I am going to training (Australia this year) or we happen to break down on the last flight of the night (super rare). And when I do have to stay in a hotel, normally, while it may not be 4 stars, it's not a dump there is a crew of people trying to plan where to eat.

image.jpg

Don't equate "flying job" with "crappy flying job". I know you are doing what you need to do to get competitive, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel (other than the few people that get unlucky their entire career). In my job now, if a plane breaks I just call MX over the radio or the phone (well, normally I watch the captain do it) and then go back to reading my book. I never see a hotel room unless I am going to training (Australia this year) or we happen to break down on the last flight of the night (super rare). And when I do have to stay in a hotel, normally, while it may not be 4 stars, it's not a dump there is a crew of people trying to plan where to eat.

image.jpg
Oh I definitely wouldn't call it a crappy job now, but just a job that still has a handful of factors that make me say "Eh, this isn't really a fun day or fun few days." And definitely a huge step up from the job where we got to "play mechanic" and help with inspections after flying a full day.

This gets back to the discussions several months ago about us each individually being responsible for our own happiness, and that life is about the journey rather than the destination.

In my USAF career, I've certainly been the one who woke up in the morning hoping that my flight that day in the mighty F-15E would weather cancel. On the other hand, virtually every day since I left my job flying it, I've wished I could get back up in it.

One of the best things to ever happen to me, unfortunately, was getting a non-flying job in the USAF. Taking away the daily 14-hour grind that was spiked by an amazing 1.5 with the canopy down and gear handle up helped return my flying excitement tolerances back to normal. It is to the point where I now really, sincerely enjoy a 1.0 in a C172 just for fun.

I can't wait to fly widebodies for a legacy as my "real job" and come home to putz around in a Cub or something on my days off, teaching my kids to fly, going for $100 hamburgers, etc.

I've noticed a lot of the flight instructors that have moved through our school do not have any hobbies outside of aviation. Sure , they go hunting when it's the proper season, but just about everyone does that anyways. They basically live to fly and as a result they don't live really at all. They start getting burnt out, not just on instruction but flying altogether, I can tell that some of them are tired of flying for a living, which is right about the time they go to the regionals and it gets exciting again.....until the shine wears off. Then they hate flying again. Sure, they will talk about how cool it is but then do their best to work the schedule for the most amount of days off. Really? You love flying but you try your best to do it as little as possible? It seems like they are trying to convince themselves. The ones who seem truly happy have a life outside of aviation.

Flying is an addiction. Many of us neglect our lives with it. It's certainly more expensive than any addiction you'll see on a TV commercial. If you're not careful it will hurt you just like any other vice we engage in. But if you do it just right, like a beer with dinner, it's reaaaaalllly good.

Flying is the best job out there for me. I can't imagine having to work a proper job. It doesn't mean everyday is rainbows and lollipops but for me it beats the heck out of anything else.

Do I get a hard on when I arrive at work for a 12 hour flight? No. Do I check in at the hotel after 4 hours sleep in the previous 24 hours and thank my lucky stars? No.

But this job is about the lifestyle and time off. It's really just a way of life to me.

If all you live for in life is being an airline pilot you will be miserable after a few short years. Hobbies, great friends, families and perspective and this is the most rewarding career. It is what you make it.

I've noticed a lot of the flight instructors that have moved through our school do not have any hobbies outside of aviation. Sure , they go hunting when it's the proper season, but just about everyone does that anyways. They basically live to fly and as a result they don't live really at all. They start getting burnt out, not just on instruction but flying altogether, I can tell that some of them are tired of flying for a living, which is right about the time they go to the regionals and it gets exciting again.....until the shine wears off. Then they hate flying again. Sure, they will talk about how cool it is but then do their best to work the schedule for the most amount of days off. Really? You love flying but you try your best to do it as little as possible? It seems like they are trying to convince themselves. The ones who seem truly happy have a life outside of aviation.

Flying is an addiction. Many of us neglect our lives with it. It's certainly more expensive than any addiction you'll see on a TV commercial. If you're not careful it will hurt you just like any other vice we engage in. But if you do it just right, like a beer with dinner, it's reaaaaalllly good.

I love flying, and I can't imagine working a real job for longer than about a week because the "real jobs" I've had drove me up a wall. That being said, I absolutely bid to maximize my time off. Flying for work isn't as fun as some seem to think and even when it is, I'd rather be at home. As much as I enjoy flying, and making trips fun and going different places I enjoy time with my wife, and surfing, and good Mexican food more. Like you said, there is more to life than flying airplanes. My job is one part of who I am.

image.jpg
Pick me. :D

Back