All before college?

ryan5UGA

I have to decide whether to finish up my commercial Multi, Single and my CFI ratings before January. I would like to try to find a job flying right seat in a small twin through college but I'm not sure what my chances are. I've heard to wait until next summer to get my CFI so that I have time to adjust to college and have fewer responsibilities but that is 6 months of not earning money flying, not networking and losing proficiency. Can I have some advise?

I wouldn't get a job in a twin as you would most likely be on call and and going to college would be and issue. Part time CFI wouldn't be that bad though.

I have to decide whether to finish up my commercial Multi, Single and my CFI ratings before January. I would like to try to find a job flying right seat in a small twin through college but I'm not sure what my chances are. I've heard to wait until next summer to get my CFI so that I have time to adjust to college and have fewer responsibilities but that is 6 months of not earning money flying, not networking and losing proficiency. Can I have some advise?

Unless you can do online classes I wouldn't because of the fact of conflicting with your school schedule. If you were going to get a job like that during school then why not get you CFI and do that? You can definitely make that work around your schedule.

Yeah those are some good points. If I did go ahead and get my multi commercial i would have 3 months before i go to college with no schedule conflicts.

Just get your CFI and instruct part time if you can find a local FBO to work at. I wouldn't even worry about the multi till next summer.

There is a possibility to fly for a 135 operation. Possibly a Navajo or King Air for about 3 months until college and then i would go part time. Is that a ridiculously short time to fly full time then go part-time? If i don't get the right seat job i could go ahead and do my CFI stuff for those 3 months. What do you think?

Back