All available information?

Holocene

I'm not advocating less-than-adequate pre-flight planning, but is it reasonable to say that, when flying IFR, you can somewhat rely on ATC to keep you out of restricted areas, TFR areas, etc...?

I'm not advocating less-than-adequate pre-flight planning, but is it reasonable to say that, when flying IFR, you can somewhat rely on ATC to keep you out of restricted areas, TFR areas, etc...?

Instrument Flying Handbook and FAR/AIM...go read them.

You would think they would. But if I'm right separation from IFR and VFR traffic is their objective.

When I fly IFR, I do as I'm told. That's the entire scope of my preflight briefing...listening to what I'm told to do.

ATC is to keep IFR traffic separate from other IFR traffic.

I remember reading that they will reroute you through restricted areas but I don't think it's their main job.

I dont think this would hold up in court. Don't forget...it's your ticket!

When ATC issues an IFR clearance, the burden of keeping you out of hot MOAs, restricted areas, TFRs, ect falls on them. It's your job to fly that clearance.

The "controlling agency" can clear you through restricted areas, but not prohibited areas.

They will not give you a clearance that takes you through any airspace that they can't clear you through. When you get an IFR clearance, you are CLEARED on that route. You don't have to worry about any airspace on the way (except for speed limits and things like that).

The "controlling agency" can clear you through restricted areas, but not prohibited areas.

The "controlling agency" CAN clear you into a prohibited area.

The controlling agency is the government agency who is responsible for useing that airspace. Millitary range controll, the USSS, NASA, ect. ATC does not manage this function, they mearly are the messager.

A hadfull of civilian operators are allowed into some prohibited areas, for very specific reasons. However you are just wasting your breath asking. Since all P areas are national security related, you would need a VERY good reason for asking, and it would probably be denied anyway.

If you can come up with a good enough reason to fly you 152 over the Washington Mall, and you can get the director of the Secret Service to agree to it, ATC will let you.

Back