ALASKA multi time...

Ok, finally found it. Per 119.1(e)2, while holding a commercial license you are allowed to conduct sightseeing tours within 25SM of the departure airport and be compensated for it.

(In an earlier post, I stated 25NM and it's really SM.)

Ok, finally found it. Per 119.1(e)2, while holding a commercial license you are allowed to conduct sightseeing tours within 25SM of the departure airport and be compensated for it.

(In an earlier post, I stated 25NM and it's really SM.)

huh? ok thanks for finding that but lets say I am not wanting any compensation? lets say that I want to split the cost evenly (pro rated) that no longer falls under commercial does it? I think at this point I will be using my private pilot privileges yes?

any one disagree? please let me know

I would say that putting an open invitation on the internet could be considered "holding out." If it was truly a group of your friends that all had common reason for traveling to XXX for an afternoon, it would fall under the priviledges of your private certificate.

However, logged time can be considered compensation is some cases. Since you posted that you are doing this for the purpose of building time (possibly a form of compensation) and you are possibly holding out by making this thread on the internet, I could see how maybe it could be a grey area.

Just because you aren't charging them enough to make a profit doesn't mean you aren't technically charging them to fly them, hence why someone mentioned the 135 reg. I think by loading a plane with as many people as possible who all chip in while you benefit by timebuilding is borderline and might be construed as you charging them.

I would say that putting an open invitation on the internet could be considered "holding out." If it was truly a group of your friends that all had common reason for traveling to XXX for an afternoon, it would fall under the priviledges of your private certificate.

However, logged time can be considered compensation is some cases. Since you posted that you are doing this for the purpose of building time (possibly a form of compensation) and you are possibly holding out by making this thread on the internet, I could see how maybe it could be a grey area.

Just because you aren't charging them enough to make a profit doesn't mean you aren't technically charging them to fly them, hence why someone mentioned the 135 reg. I think by loading a plane with as many people as possible who all chip in while you benefit by timebuilding is borderline and might be construed as you charging them.

I see your point that does seem a bit grey... I guess it depends on how the situation is viewed or the viewer... Still it isnt holding out if I post to split time with other pilots... which is part of this thread... so still offering:)

If you are getting compensated more than half the pro-rated share, it falls under your commercial license. If you transfer people from point A to point B and receive compensation (more than 1/2 the pro-rated share), that is considered charter and falls under 135 regs and is not legal for you to do so. Simple enough?

Under the above fore mentioned (119) rule, you can transfer people no further than 25SM from point A BACK to point A and call it sightseeing. You can charge them all you want for that service per the reg.

Back