Alaska Hawaiian Merger Serious Version

alaskadrifter

Landing gear operator
Since most of this thread is just 3 weird Alaska guys arguing with 1 weird Alaska guy I’m probably going to shut this down soon. Get your last digs in and if you want to talk seriously about the merger you can start a new thread.
I’d love for this discussion to stay on topic.

What do the HAL pilots want to see replace the 717?

I don’t know what they want, but I would eat my shiny new luly yang hat right in front of Dave M if it doesn’t end up being some flavor of guppy
My guess is more Max 8s, they have the performance to do all the Arctic flying, the greater fuel burn on short legs won’t make a big difference, and they could still fly them to the islands. Engine start times might make quick turns a little slower for inter-island flying (but I don’t know if that’s ultimately a deal breaker). Max 7s would be cool, but if management wanted them I think they would have ordered them already.

The dream was 220s, until guys found the plane comes ETOPS certified out of the boxn and they might get stuck having to fly more than 30 minutes per leg.

Then (because of all the former Skywest guys) it was all about the 190. But you can't get surfboards loaded in the bin on those, so that won't work.

There was a brief moment of clarity around used 319s that would just get used until they died and then cycled out for another one, but that idea kind of evaporated.

The current hotness is the 717 until it can't run anymore.

Any max or neo would work as long as they get cycled out with longer legs (and out of the salt spray environment) frequently. Turn times would be a bit slower though and that's a problem over the course of an operating day.

The dream was 220s, until guys found the plane comes ETOPS certified out of the boxn and they might get stuck having to fly more than 30 minutes per leg.
Our 220s are not ETOPS certified although rumors abound that we are working on it.

There’s a LOT of options on the 220 that we didn’t buy.

My guess is more Max 8s, they have the performance to do all the Arctic flying, the greater fuel burn on short legs won’t make a big difference, and they could still fly them to the islands. Engine start times might make quick turns a little slower for inter-island flying (but I don’t know if that’s ultimately a deal breaker). Max 7s would be cool, but if management wanted them I think they would have ordered them already.
I heard from a check airman whose girlfriend’s uncle works at Boeing that they’re developing an N1 brake to fit to the #2 engine so you can leave it running during turns easier

what’s the shortest strip they take a 717 into?

That it regularly goes into... probably Lihue at 6000 feet. It can theoretically make it into Molokai at 4500 feet, but it's not pretty and it's not regularly scheduled service. The plane doesn't have great brakes.
Couldn't possibly be shorter than say, our JNU-GST, or WRG-PSG legs right? I don't really know, just guessing

Probably not. HNL - OGG is 88 miles I think? Or maybe that's HNL- LIH? It's been a while since I've flown inter Island legs. I think KOA - OGG is probably the shortest though.

Ironically, the shortest legs I've done since I got out here have been on the 330, doing Honolulu to K-Bay, and Osan to Incheon.

Probably not. HNL - OGG is 88 miles I think? Or maybe that's HNL- LIH? It's been a while since I've flown inter Island legs. I think KOA - OGG is probably the shortest though.

Ironically, the shortest legs I've done since I got out here have been on the 330, doing Honolulu to K-Bay, and Osan to Incheon.

PAJN-PAGS is 40 nm if its VMC and you don't have to takeoff on RWY 26 (or vice versa return to 26 due to RWY 08 being socked in but 26 usable in PAJN). I haven't flown it yet, but the PAWG-PAPG leg is about 30 nm direct, and breathlessly vaunted as our shortest leg

Pretty wild about those 330 legs you mention though!

PAJN-PAGS is 40 nm if its VMC and you don't have to takeoff on RWY 26 (or vice versa return to 26 due to RWY 08 being socked in but 26 usable in PAJN). I haven't flown it yet, but the PAWG-PAPG leg is about 30 nm direct, and breathlessly vaunted as our shortest leg

Pretty wild about those 330 legs you mention though!

What about PAWG to PAPG? Back when we were allowed to fly VFR. Before a few clowns ruined that by intentionally setting off the GPWS. Captains used to brag about how their “record was 7 minutes!”

When asking me to get a VFR clearance and file a VFR flight plan with Juneau radio of course…

Back