Alaska Furloughs

Cheechako

From our base Chief Pilot:
Furlough News
Last Monday Dec. 3rd I had the unpleasant task of notifying 15 of our ANC based First officers that they would be placed on furlough status.There are a total of 32 furloughs with effective dates of January 5th 2009. This is painful and emotional for all of us especially those getting notices but also for those of us who have worked along side these excellent Pilots since they were hired. These folks were hired at a time when very few airlines were hiring Pilots and we were able to select the very best from a very large pool. The result has been that we have recruited the very cream of the crop. Those that choose to, I have no doubt, will find other jobs. It is my hope that they choose to come back to Alaska Airlines when our economic climate improves.

Fortunately, I'm still just under 100 away from these guys. I wish them the best. There are always opportunities up here in Alaska for these guys if they're willing to head out to the bush for a while.

How many total furloughs at Alaska once those 32 stop flying in January?

Hopefully that's it for AK during this downturn.

Unfortunately I have a very good friend that is getting furloughed. Brand new baby at home as well...very sad.

How many total furloughs at Alaska once those 32 stop flying in January?

Hopefully that's it for AK during this downturn.

That's it. Just the 32. For now. . . It's a small number in comparison to the rest of the carriers. But 1 furlough is too much in my book.

That's it. Just the 32. For now. . . It's a small number in comparison to the rest of the carriers. But 1 furlough is too much in my book.

You'd think out of 1000+ pilots that keeping 32 around really would not affect things too much. Granted it would be more than a million dollars a year in payroll but oh well. I guess they draw the line somewhere and keep emotion out of it unless there is some other motive behind it.

Hey, you've got a thousand posts! :nana2:

For the next little while all flights out of Alaska are full.....

Story - ADN

They're saying on our end that Friday could be one of the busiest travel days of the year being the weekend before Xmas. Almost all of our flights are oversold.....and a blizzard is supposed to hit DTW. Glad I don't work in the customer service division.....

Back