Alaska Flying in the 182

I would love just to fly a super cub and try it out. Trying the Maule M5 at legends in Willow tomorrow.
The Maule is better. A proficient Maule guy can go almost anywhere a supercub can, but carry 2x as much and get there 2x as fast.
When you look at the competitions the good Maule numbers are within 100ft of the good cub numbers.

The Maule is better. A proficient Maule guy can go almost anywhere a supercub can, but carry 2x as much and get there 2x as fast.
When you look at the competitions the good Maule numbers are within 100ft of the good cub numbers.
Buying a cub is not about practicality. I’d guess 1% of cub owners can truly take advantage of the performance and over half of those are in AK.

Maules have a useful load of 1200 lbs and cruise at 180 mph?!

Well, they're all better than my 182! Mine does no better than 125 MPH IAS (maaaybe 140 mph true, max) and needs at least 700 ft to takeoff at MTOW in my ham-fisted hands! I blame the 8.50x6's (all around), bubble windows, micro VG's, sportsman STOL, bent cessna doors, ridiculous forward CG and overall crookedness of the 60 year old aiframe. It may be slow, but at least it's ugly!

I'd like to fly everything at least once to try it out, maules, super cub, husky, scout. Tomorrow will be my first tailwheel flight in 16 years though, I expect to be really really bad.

Well, they're all better than my 182! Mine does no better than 125 MPH IAS (maaaybe 140 mph true, max) and needs at least 700 ft to takeoff at MTOW in my ham-fisted hands! I blame the 8.50x6's (all around), bubble windows, micro VG's, sportsman STOL, bent cessna doors, ridiculous forward CG and overall crookedness of the 60 year old aiframe. It may be slow, but at least it's ugly!

I'd like to fly everything at least once to try it out, maules, super cub, husky, scout. Tomorrow will be my first tailwheel flight in 16 years though, I expect to be really really bad.
Tailwheels are easy. All you have to do is fly straight. Just like in a nosewheel.

I'll take you up in the bearhawk sometime if you want. It's basically a Maule, but a bit faster with more useful. And no MIG welds.

I love flying nosewheels with the family like a good ol 172, but nothing makes me feel more of a pilot than a tailwheel plane ngl

Back