Al Hanes's presentation!!!

E_Dawg

Al Hanes\'s presentation!!!

Hey I just got back from a seminar with Al Hanes (went with Iain too)... GREAT SEMINAR!!!!!! Go if you get the chance... he is a GREAT guy who is VERY interesting to listen to; he also had some GREAT tips on flying and day to day living.

PS If you havent heard of the guy... he was the captain on the DC-10 that crash landed in Sioux City, Iowa in 1989. Here's some more info: http://www.avweb.com/news/profiles/182969-1.html

There are also some more very interesting profiles here:
http://www.avweb.com/news/profiles/list.html

Re: Al Hanes\'s presentation!!!

I have to agree he is a great speaker, and a true gentleman of aviation! His speach about UAL 232 is so informative, and not only helpful with your airmanship, but life in general. What he did at 37,000 was truely remarkable, and while you listen to him and see the slides and video you are just thinking wow he was flying that aircraft. I would love to sit down with him and just chat, not about UAL 232, or aviation just about stuff, I think we can all learn so much from him.

Yeah, I took a few students to see him at Bowling Green State University a month or so ago. Excellent presentation and he's a super nice guy! Well worth the trip if anyone ever gets the chance to see him.
smile.gif

Does he have a published presentation schedule? I have been meaning to see him for years - he spoke at GLIAC in Lansing this year but I couldn't make it. I've seen many videos and movies on the topic, its truly an amazing story.

Yes, I saw him speak at our Oregon Air Fair, which I was a volunteer at, and he was very interesting. I was lucky enough to be able to spend some time with him and a few others afterwards and he is a consumate professional. I remember his big piece of advice for comm. pax's was " if your in your seat, wear your seatbelt." Good advice, his story and reasons why impressed me enough to always have it secured during comm. flights.

Definatly a must see.

Al Haynes is the man, and so is his crew from that day.

That is one thing that would be cool- if someone else from the crew traveled with him...I'd also like to talk to that controller- he did an awesome job as well.

Its funny, Capt. Haynes makes a point out of that. When you hear the tapes of the emergency response crews (mostly surrounding fire departments I guess), they are all frantic and almost to the point of screaming. Then you hear the ATC tapes, and its so calm between the flight crew and controller, despite the fact that they're the ones in the proverbial world 'o •!!

[ QUOTE ]
That is one thing that would be cool- if someone else from the crew traveled with him...I'd also like to talk to that controller- he did an awesome job as well.

Its funny, Capt. Haynes makes a point out of that. When you hear the tapes of the emergency response crews (mostly surrounding fire departments I guess), they are all frantic and almost to the point of screaming. Then you hear the ATC tapes, and its so calm between the flight crew and controller, despite the fact that they're the ones in the proverbial world 'o •!!

[/ QUOTE ]

From the ATC tape...and this is the best (paraphrased):

KSUX Approach: .......And United 2-3-2....sir, you're cleared to land Runway XX...winds.....

Haynes: Oh...(mildly chuckling)....you want me to put it on a runway....

Oh man...I forgot to go. I really did mean to see him. Glad to hear it was good.

Yeah, I remember that. SUX tower said "United 232, you are cleared to land on any runway sir."

Haynes says, "Oh you want to be specific and make it a particular runway?" while laughing.

grin.gif
grin.gif

The part I enjoyed about that was the controller had moved to SUX from a busier area because he was finding it very stressful and wanted somewhere quieter, then UAL 232 came on his frequency. I think he did a great job keeping eveyone calm.

Back