AirTran and the ALPA vote

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Continuing on.....

Do furloughed/LOA/mil leave etc pilots vote, or just active ones?

My Fellow AirTran Pilots,

Today, you have chosen to proceed from the crossroads in a new bold direction. As we embark on this new journey, please do remember that the decision whether or not to be nationally represented has always been about your desire to have a functioning union. When the history of this pilot group is written, this moment will be among the most remembered. We are a great group of professionals who deserve better. Always remember, our success will not happen by accident.

Out of 1484 eligible voters, 1407 cast ballots (94.8%). The ballots were cast as follows: In favor of ratifying the proposed merger agreement between ALPA and NPA, 1237 (87.92%). Not in favor, 170 (12.08%)

In Service,

President, Linden Hillman

Press Releases

National Pilots Association: AirTran Pilots Vote Overwhelming for Represention by Air Line Pilots Association

https://npa-atl.org/member/docs/NPA%...er Press.pdf

Air Line Pilots Association: ALPA Prepares to Welcome AirTran Airways Pilots

https://npa-atl.org/member/docs/AlpaNews0914.pdf

The Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), is extremely pleased by the AirTran pilots’ overwhelming vote in support of a merger with the world’s largest pilots union. A landslide 87% of AirTran pilots cast votes in support of merging with ALPA, with more than 94% of eligible AirTran pilots voting. The National Pilots Association (NPA) currently represents the nearly 1,700 pilots of AirTran Airways.

“With this decisive vote, the AirTran pilots made it clear they want representation by a strong international union that is run by airline pilots and for airline pilots,” said Capt. John Prater, president of ALPA. “We look forward to working with the AirTran pilots and to providing the union’s unparalleled professional resources and expertise, as well as the support of other ALPA pilots in Atlanta and across the country, to help them achieve and enforce the fair contract they deserve.”

The merger decision must be ratified by ALPA’s Executive Board when it meets on April 28-29. If that happens as expected, the merger will be effective on May 1, 2009.

And Mike, AirTran does not (to my knowledge) have any furloughed pilots presently. All that were furloughed last fall have since been recalled.

That being said, I'm not too up on the voting process of the NPA. Our own PCL_128 would have been the person to ask since he is a union representative with the NPA.

And Mike, AirTran does not (to my knowledge) have any furloughed pilots presently. All that were furloughed last fall have since been recalled.

That being said, I'm not too up on the voting process of the NPA. Our own PCL_128 would have been the person to ask since he is a union representative with the NPA.

Thats cool. Was just curious about how votes worked in that way.

Sounds like a good thing the AT guys have got rolling here. :rawk:

But, to answer your question in a non-official way - only active pilots are usually able to vote on measures placed to the pilot group.

I'm back from my 20-day ban! Good to be back.

It was an excellent day yesterday, and a great result to our vote. Huge participation, and a landslide in favor of ALPA. It exceeded even my wildest expectations.

To answer Mike's question, pilots on furlough or leaves of absence greater than 180 days aren't able to vote under our Bylaws.

Back