Airports in Close Proximity to Others

A320_DUDE

Quick question for you guys. Yesterday I was outside on the ramp of lovely JFK and was watching the departures, and in the distance saw LaGuardia's departures also. It got me wondering,exactly how do they coordernate the departures/arrivals at airports like NYC/Newark,MDW/ORD,and DFW/DAL? I know all about SIDs and STARS,but I figure at some point a airplane going into one airport would cross the departure/arrival path of another. So how does ATC do it?

[ QUOTE ]
Quick question for you guys. Yesterday I was outside on the ramp of lovely JFK and was watching the departures, and in the distance saw LaGuardia's departures also. It got me wondering,exactly how do they coordernate the departures/arrivals at airports like NYC/Newark,MDW/ORD,and DFW/DAL? I know all about SIDs and STARS,but I figure at some point a airplane going into one airport would cross the departure/arrival path of another. So how does ATC do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

RAPCON/TRACON in charge of the terminal area (Class B/C) will coordinate with the ATC towers of the airports in the terminal area for aircraft to penetrate their respective Class D airspace. Seen often in in here in TUS when the Air Force Base's ops are reduced, airliner traffic into TUS is given shorter vectors to final and lower altitudes.

MD

It is all in the routing. You file for this and you get that. At least that is what happens here in Chicago. OBK is an inbound fix for PWK. JOT, JVL are both inbound fixes from the north to MDW and ORD.

So it starts with the routing, then as far as arrivals go, Center comes next with getting you in the right position for whatever airport you are heading to. Approach stacks 'em and packs 'em onto the ILS's or Visuals.

Hope that explains some for you.

Back