Airport Management

Waples15

Hi all,
I'm considering a career change and have been looking around at what opportunities might be out there with somebody of my background. I've spoken with a few airport managers and I like what I see. Does anyone have any experience in this field? How would I go about finding an entry position without direct experience. What I hear from everyone is "you need to find a way to get experience". No problem taking a step back. Just don't want to take too many steps back. I do have a mortgage after all.
tongue.gif

My current situation is that I'm 46, married, degree in Aviation Management, been working for an integrator (BAX Global station General Manager) for the past 22 years, and am currently working on my private pilot certificate. I have no illusions of flying as a career. But I get a big smile on my face every time I go to our local airport where I'm getting my training.

Note: I recently left BAX Global for a better opportunity.

Airport managment can be a very good choice. I just finished my degree in Aviation Admin and also just got a job in airport operations with Ventura County(OXR,CMA). For what I have always been told by some of my professors(director of operations at SLC) is that in order to get to managment you should start in operations, and often you will have to move to move up. look at http://www.aaae.com/careercenter/ for jobs. AAAE is the accredidation for airport managers(you will notice almost all managment people have AAE or CM after their name). Alot of jobs say you need experiance but sometime you will find ones like I did that dont need experiance, but they are at the small airports, but hey its a start. I start at Ventura County Dept of Airports next month so when I get started I can give you more insider info.
Hope that helps.
cool.gif

Good thoughts. I heard about the airport management course and will probably follow through on that after I complete my private pilot training. Actually I like small/medium class D airports. The airport I'm taking lessons at here in Colorado is Jeffco Airport. The people are great. I've been with a big company long enough. I'm very happy to be at a small to medium size company, airport, or anything. You can have more of an impact and also learn more about your job. Thanks guys <s>.
Dave

Back