Airport construction? Denver

Timbuff10

At my home airport (BJC-denver colorado) they are putting in new highspeed taxiways leading toward the side of the airport where nothing exists. I also notcied that they are building something over in that area that was previously open space.

Does anyone know how to find out what kind of construction project this might be? Rumor is that Comair is building a flight school in the Denver area and I am wondering if this may be what is going up over there? Anyone in the Denver area know whats going on up there?

Tim

Hey Tim is that why 29L-11R have been closed for a while now?

You know now that you mention it. I went down to Metro State College the other day to speak with the head of their aviation department and he also mentioned something about Delta Connection planning on opening a training center. The reason he told me this is because he has been working with some executives at Delta Connection to create a program between MSCD and Delta Connection. If it works out than that will be a great way to get to the Right Seat! He told me that if it worked out, students would train with Delta Connection and when you are finished with the program, and after you interview that you will have a 95% chance of landing a job with them if they have vacancies. just food for thought.... I'm going to take a class down there this fall. Its a Commercial Instrument ground class. I can't wait.....

junior,

yes that is exactly the reason the other RW is closed. They are grading out the two areas where they are putting in the highspeed taxiways. I was talking with my instructor this morning while we were doing touch n goes and he seems to think this too. He actually went to Comair in FL and has heard of them expanding to DEN too but no one knows where (BJC or APA). Its like comair is keeping it a big secret. The thing is there is no point in building high speed taxiways that go away from the airport and any structures so something big has to be going up over there.

I am guessing that Comair, delta connection, ripoff U, or whatever they are called will be opening up on the other side of the airport. I think its good that another flight school is coming in but I wish it wasnt a school that makes all these promises and cant deliver. I feel sorry for all those Metro students that will get sucked into their promise of an interview and getting hired to fly for delta. Im sorry but that is nonsense and a total joke for at least the next year or two(till airlines hire again). If you add up the prices for a school like that it is insane and a complete ripoff, can ruin your life actually if for some reason you dont make it all the way through and at least get an instructor rating.

A few months ago I actually saw the details for the Metro students and it did say something like 95% (of getting a CFI position) but if you read the small print it comes at a HUGE cost (upwords of $60,000). Oh yeah and then that is only if they "need" instructors. You cant promise 2,000 people the same 15 jobs.

Be careful what you get into with comair. If airlines are not hiring its kinda hard to guarantee any kind of job. I keep seeing the same 15 people in comair's ads for "getting hired"

What we need is for ATP to open up a nice training center here at lower prices!

Tim

Yeah I'm not too interested in spending the $50,000 to attend Delta Connection but I am willing to spend the $300 to take a simulator class at Metro. It is so cheap and they have an amazing sim lab. I plan on staying with Mcair, I like how they do things. I punched some numbers with my instructor once, comparing ATP vs. Mcair. I could do all my training with Mcair in a multi-engine aircraft for a price of around 32000 which is about the same as ATP. The price is based on finishing with the same amount of hours as finishing at ATP. Since Mcair doesn't have a Multe sim (yet- I heard they might be getting one in the near future) I plan on doing my multi sim time at MEtro.. how is your training going? I.m almost done with my PPL. Just one long x-c and my 3rd stage check and I'm done... woohoo

junior,

I am taking my first stage check this wednesday at mcair with Ken Stock i think? hope it goes well! Hmmm quick question for you. After you soloed, how much is left till you are done with your private? I have heard its like 5 more flights and that is pretty much it, plus the instructor doesnt ride with as much so its pretty cheap after the solo. I am paying for this thing out of my bank account and cash is going fast... Im wondering how much more I can count of spending for my PPL after solo at Mcair.

tim

I'm looking through my log book here and I did my first solo at 24 hours which I think is a little more than average but I could be wrong. How many hours do you have now?

Lets see... once you solo you will start doing short and soft field work, Instrument Navigation, and than you start your x-c's. One day & one night x-c with your instructor. Class Bravo training. Most likely you will do a x-c to COS for some class C training which is fun.

Basically you are preparing for your 2nd stage check and once you pass that you will be on your own until your 3rd stage check which is a mock practical test. You will do your solo x-c's and build the solo hours that you need to meet the requirements and just get your manuevers down for your 3rd stage check / Practical Test.

After my first solo at 24 hours I'm now at 44 hours with my long solo x-c to CYS and then I just have to build 1 more hour to get my 10 solo hours. After I have all my requirements I will take my 3rd stage check and then my Practical Test. So I'm guessing about 6 more hours.

50 hours seems like a lot but the national average is 55. I also had a slow start where I was only flying about 1-2 times a month for my first 10 flight hours which really slowed my progress. well. good luck on your first stage check.. Ken is a good guy. Study the ground material and you will be all set.. you will be soloing in no time, bring your camera for after and if you like, a bottle of the finest $10 champagne you can find
smile.gif

Back