airport codes in airline database

dark_reaper

Airport Bum!
Just how often do airlines update their airport codes?

I just dealt with a airline recently and they are using a wrong airport code on the flight release, they were using KNZC when they should be using KVQQ. Is that legal? I am just curious cause I have pilots ask me about it.

If it is a joint militay/civil airlfield it may have 2 designations to denote which side a flight is going to.

Yuma Az use to have two. NYL for military and Yum for civil. It officially change to NYL about 3 years ago.

Honolulu has two PHNL for civil and PHIK for military.

Not sure which military facility it use to be as the online AFD doenst list NZC.

According to my jepps, the airport is listed as KVQQ/NZC. According to Wikipedia.. it holds three identifiers, ICAO (KVQQ), IATA (NZC), and FAA (VQQ). Years ago, I remember being confused sending a flight to Cecil because of the identifier issue. It's the only place in the US I've ever seen that had a an ICAO identifier that was just K+the IATA identifier. Some kind of hold over from being Naval Air Station Cecil. (Trivia, in the US, almost all airports with a KNxx ID is or was a Naval/Marine Corps air station.. of course there are exceptions).

As to the legality... *shrug*, not sure where it falls.

I just tell the pilots when they take off on 26, make a left and they cannot miss the field. I know VQQ used to be military, but that was a long time ago. I am just curious , so next time a pilot ask me, then I will know.

There are a few civilian airports that have different IATA/ICAO codes.
FCA/KGPI Kalispell, MT
MQT/KSAW (Marquette, Michigan)
SSM/KCIU (Sault Ste, Marie,MI)
In the case of HNL/HIK, since it is the same airfield, you pull WX for HNL, and use NOTAMS for BOTH HIK and HNL. There a quite a few airport with varying ICAO/IATA codes, and airlines DO keep them up to date. The only time you will not find IATA codes or TAF/NOTAM codes are for many military bases in the middle east.

Back