Airplane Whistling Overhead

MrLeisure757

I get off the bus today after school. It's about -10F. I hear a plane coming overhead departing MHT. It appears to be a USAirways Airbus. It sounds normal....as it gets closer I hear a LOUD sharp whistling noise from the engine. Just like a LOUD Nerf Football! As it passes over and leaves me behind the noise starts to disapear and I no longer hear it. The planes are normally about 9-10,000FT when they pass overheard. Any ideas on what that noise was? I was curious as it sounded VERY unusual and not like a normal airplane engine. My only guess was, cold air? Which makes NO sense.
confused.gif

was it kinda like the whistling noise that you'd hear if you were doing the "wayne & garth" runway scene?? wonder if they were putting the flaps down?? cuz i remember hearing a noise like that years and years ago when a low flying jumbo jet (no, i have no idea which it was - prob a 72) passed over our house on a really low altitude during approach to the mad town airport. (that's when i decided i liked planes).

That high-pitched whine is usually just what scarebusses sound like in general.....

[ QUOTE ]
Kristie - It made me like planes like 10x more!

[/ QUOTE ] he he he.. funny how that works huh!
wink.gif

Yup! Every time I see a plane overhead I think...where is it going...where is it from....whose on it! It's exciting.

You're not alone... jets into on their way into Boston fly over Providence at about 10,000 feet, but when I was outside they definitely sounded different... almost closer. Weird.

Another interesting phenomenon (usually heard in the summer with windows open) is all of a sudden as a jet is flying over (on it's way to Boston), all of a sudden I hear this rushing wind noise, like someone opening a door on a windy day. It lasts for about five seconds, and then goes away, but you can still hear the distant rumble of the engines. Strange...

[ QUOTE ]
You're not alone... jets into on their way into Boston fly over Providence at about 10,000 feet, but when I was outside they definitely sounded different... almost closer. Weird.

[/ QUOTE ]If one wants to get really technical, those aircraft (jets on the Norwich Three arrival) cross PVD at 11,000 feet. When BOS is landing 4L/R they are also slowed to 250 knots at PVD.

FL270

The whistling noise you speak of may be normal; it's just that when it is so cold out the sound waves from the engines carry differently so you are hearing other things. Maybe someone can bust out their physics book again... On a similar note, I used to stay at a house in Vermont, near Sugarbush Airport (in Waitsfield). It is a huge glider airport, and the house was about 1/2 a mile from the end of the runway. When a glider would come over, all you would hear would be the whistling. Sort of cool.
Ethan

The older planes (at least in the CHS with a lot of older military a/c flying) make a real loud whistling sound. I'm talking KC-135s, C-141s, and even C-5s kinda.

The high pitched sound that you probably heard is from the high bypass engines on the Airbus.

I hear the same high pitched whining almost hollow sound all the time here at CVG from the 757,767 & 777's.

I also hear it alot when I'm in PHX. and an America West A320 flies over head.

Matthew

Is that the sound the A320 makes on takeoff? During the takeoff role it always sounds like the buzzing of a lawn-mower. The 737 does not make this noise.

Yep, it has a buzzing/humming noise. I don't know what makes the engines do different but I think the A320 engines look manlier(is that a word?)

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, it has a buzzing/humming noise. I don't know what makes the engines do different but I think the A320 engines look manlier(is that a word?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right, have you seen how slow those A320s climb?
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah right, have you seen how slow those A320s climb?

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, I was on a NWA A319 about three months ago, leaving RDU for MSP. It only had about 20 passengers (think NWA lost money on that flight?). That thing climbed like a homesick angel on takeoff.

Airbus pilots I've talked to have indicated that the A319 is the real performer of the family, especially when it is fairly light.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the sound the A320 makes on takeoff? During the takeoff role it always sounds like the buzzing of a lawn-mower. The 737 does not make this noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also forgot to mention that CRJ's make that hollow, tunnel whistling, lawn more sound on take off as well. I truly believe it to be the sound the high bypass engines make when at full power as I only ever hear the sound on take off.

Also I never said the 737 engines make this sound I said 757,767,777
grin.gif

As for the A320 I prefer the look of the P&W's on 757's but I have heard the the Rolls are far superior engines to the P&W's.

Lastly A320 climb like rocks there drastically under powered. Hell a NG737 climbs better then a A320.

If you want to see a spectacular take-off look at the 757 that thing leaps off the runway and rockets into the sky.

Matthew

Pulling out the GENEVA2 DEP from Detroit, planes cross my house going direct CAVVS climbing up through about 10,000

[ QUOTE ]
Pulling out the GENEVA2 DEP from Detroit, planes cross my house going direct CAVVS climbing up through about 10,000

[/ QUOTE ]

Is CAVVS an intersection?

Matthew

Back