Airlines fight FAA crew rest requirements

Dough probably knows more about it than me, but I think the issue with Delta was that they were operating flights that frequently exceeded 16 hours (JFK-Mumbai), so a special exemption had to be carved out for them to make it work. It was a situation that the regs hadn't previously needed to address. Sound right, Doug?

Ooh, Staplegun might be a little better versed on that than I. That sounds familiar, but I'm not too familiar with it. Something about doing it with four pilots and requiring a 48 hour layover or something, I'll have to look.

Ooh, Staplegun might be a little better versed on that than I. That sounds familiar, but I'm not too familiar with it. Something about doing it with four pilots and requiring a 48 hour layover or something, I'll have to look.

OK, so I said the AF had pretty good rules, but not THAT good. Maybe I should get an exploratory committee together for ALPA representation! :)

Any leg which goes over 16 hours 10% of the time, whether inbound or outbound, requires a 48 hour layover in between. Delta wrote the book on it because of the Mumbai trip.

The other airlines aren't happy because they have been doing their 16+ hour trips with a 24 hour layover, and now they have to buy extra hotel rooms & use more crews, etc.

It's curious that JetBlue is involved...

Kevin

Back