Airline Pilots, Accountants, and the IRS

I dream of the day that I make enough money to have a giant "tax problem" about which to complain. HR Block Tax Software 'til then.

Anyone have an accountant that doesn't wait until the last damn minute, and then hit you up with a ton of questions on April 14th? I haven't been all that impressed with accountants in general. Used one when my wife and I filed married/separate for medical expenses related to in vitro, but by the time the guy filed it, someone had stolen my wife's ID and filed on her behalf. They completely left us hanging dealing with the fallout.

Two people who are entirely worthless in Murdoughnut's mind: general contractor and accountants.

Usually our accountant will send the tax questionnaire out by mid January with appointments starting in late February. I've never had a follow up question more than a week after my initial appointment.

I could pretty much do it myself, however I don't think Intuit (WHO I FLIPPING HATE ANYWAY) is going to send an accountant or tax attorney in with me during my audit.

Accountants are overrated. It's not that difficult, just do a little reading.
I am sole member of one LLC and partner in another. In addition, I own a rental property with my sister. That's enough to produce a 30 page return.

Tax law shouldn't be that complicated.

I am sole member of one LLC and partner in another. In addition, I own a rental property with my sister. That's enough to produce a 30 page return.

Tax law shouldn't be that complicated.

I think I average about 40 pages. Ehh, drop a hundred fifty bucks on an accountant or half of that to assume all liability and do it myself...

Leave it to the pros!

Usually our accountant will send the tax questionnaire out by mid January with appointments starting in late February. I've never had a follow up question more than a week after my initial appointment.

I could pretty much do it myself, however I don't think Intuit (WHO I FLIPPING HATE ANYWAY) is going to send an accountant or tax attorney in with me during my audit.
Intuit develops crap software.

I think I average about 40 pages. Ehh, drop a hundred fifty bucks on an accountant or half of that to assume all liability and do it myself...

Leave it to the pros!
Especially an enrolled agent that can actually pick up a phone and talk to somebody at the IRS.

I wouldn't have a problem creating a "correct" return, but there are many possible correct returns. I also use my tax guy for tax-planning which has saved me a fortune.

My accountant left me in the cold when I was audited 6-months ago on HSA expenditures. I had to fight it to the point of filing a case in federal tax court before the IRS went back and reviewed it and fixed the mistake. Couldn't even get the accountant to reply to my e-mails about it.

My accountant left me in the cold when I was audited 6-months ago on HSA expenditures. I had to fight it to the point of filing a case in federal tax court before the IRS went back and reviewed it and fixed the mistake. Couldn't even get the accountant to reply to my e-mails about it.

I think you need a new accountant.

Mine has a policy that if you have a question or if you leave her a voicemail, still will absolutely make contact with you before the end of business that day.

Mine has a policy that if you have a question or if you leave her a voicemail, still will absolutely make contact with you before the end of business that day.
My guy is the same way and out of respect for his generosity with his time, I get my act together in January when his office is very quiet.

Yeah I've just had a few bad ones that have burned me on accountants I guess.

I did my own for years. Seemed pretty simple. Then one of my f/o's told me about some such thing called AMT. Never heard of it. Now I use and account....

It's much the same for me.....well worse. Try having employees, a business return, complicated assets, a complicated personal return, a couple of properties (one owned with my brother), etc. I have more different schedule filings than the Pope has rosary beads. I don't even understand half of the book of returns I get back from the accountant. I thumb through them, ask a few questions, nod and sign them. The tax laws are so numerous, so complicated, they are constantly changing and the IRS keeps adding new ones. Plus the requirements keep changing. I could never keep up with any of it on my own, in truth.

She sent me the questionnaires for personal and business at the beginning of this month. I looked at them, sighed and threw them into a pile on my desk where i haven't looked at them since. Just the hours, days and weeks that I have to spend getting all the data and figures together to give her, is mind numbing. Even with software programs, being organized, etc., it's terrible.

Last edited:
That is bad. Really bad. But they are not all like that. Mine is never more than a phone call/email away, always responsive and timely. And being an EA she would be there for me/represent me if the IRS ever decided to give me grief.

You just have to research an accountant, interview them, look at their experience and background, and get references from someone you know who uses them and whose needs are close to your own. Kind of like finding a doctor or any professional or service really.

Last edited:

Bingo! In fact my accountant told he didn't even want me there if I was audited. Finished my airline career with no audits and with him being aggressive (me being conservative) saved me thousands over the years.

Back