Airline or Commercial?

matthew

Hey guys,

I was recently accepted to ERAU and am a little confused on what to expect from their two flight programs: Airline and Commercial. I spoked to my undergrad counsellor who told me that airline focuses on jetliners and commercial is mostly private jets.

I have army aviation experience and would really like to talk to someone about what to expect transitioning from military aviation to civilian aviation. Such as: What to track, best hirable, what the average day would be like for both of these.

I'd really appreciate maybe getting in touch with an ERAU alumni who has successfully transitioned into the job market and wouldn't mind passing the buck off to a freshman.

Thanks,

Matt

matthew,

Welcome to JC. Have a look around the site and the forums, you'll find all sorts of answers to your questions. The main page has a few "a day in the life" articles. Threads are constantly being started about the differences between airlines and corporate. There are also many military guys around who can give you insight as to what the transition from military to civilian flying is like. Check the Military Pilots forum for starters.

Thanks for the reply X,

I was really hoping I could talk to an ERAU alumni whos gone through one of those programs so I can get a good idea of what to expect on an average ERAU day.

I'm a senior, 1 semester away from graduation. I'll try to help you out a bit, but feel free to ask more questions.

I would assume you are majoring in Aeronautical Science. Doing so offers you a couple of options for what you want to take. The Airline Pilot Specialty basically sets you up for 121 type flying, by taking classes in airline operations and things like that. You also end up taking the CRJ training course, which is pricey class for simulator time (about $6000, IIRC) The Commercial Pilot Specialty essentially leaves you 15 credit hours which you have to fill with a minor of some sort. You can do all kinds of minors, business, meteorology, space operations, etc... Basically, they both get you to the same point, through a different path.

I'm not an Aeronautical Science student, but Aeronautics (closely related, but much more flexible of a program). I'll try to help you out if you've got more questions, and if I can't, I can get you in contact with someone who can. Out of curiosity, who is your counselor?

Hey,

I just graduated from Riddle and took the Airline track. I liked it because the classes are really focused towards a 121 career and are really in depth. Also the crj course was really good and i learned a lot from it. Like KScessnaDriver said they get you to the same place but from different routes.
If you are towards more of the business side and wana end up flying corporate then you should go for the commercial route.

If you have more question let me know. :cool:

Thanks for the replies guys. One of my concerns is that if I track airline how much of what I get certified on synergizes with the commercial track?

Thanks for the replies guys. One of my concerns is that if I track airline how much of what I get certified on synergizes with the commercial track?

Let me guess that you're asking about the flight courses it self. For the Airline track, you'll go through everything from private, multi-add on, instrument, commercial multi and single, and CFI/CFII. As for the Commercial track, they will let you stop after your commercial license.

It's easy to switch your track from airline to commercial if you decided later not to do the CFI/II things cause the classes that you've takes will satisfied the credits for the classes in commercial track, but its harder the other way around.

agreed^^^. I feel like you really decide when you get some real world experience under your belt first and actually have the hours. a degree is just a degree as long as its aviation related, but certain degrees will prepare you better i believe. i took airline track and enjoyed it. also i dont think you HAVE to do CFI/II, because if you don't ever want to instruct you can take the easy way out with a 3 credit course called instructional design for aviation (i think)

From an AS grad, Id say major in Aeronautics instead of AS and fly outside of Riddle.

The difference between Aeronautics and AS is about $30,000 and one line on your transcript that says all certs were awarded through Riddles 141 program. Thats it.

I agree with Outlaw2097. I switched my major from AS to Aeronautics last semester and couldn't be happier. Did my IFR rating with Riddle, but doing the rest off campus. Save's you a lot of money, and you can build your major the way you want it to be.

I agree with Outlaw2097. I switched my major from AS to Aeronautics last semester and couldn't be happier. Did my IFR rating with Riddle, but doing the rest off campus. Save's you a lot of money, and you can build your major the way you want it to be.

I did the exact same thing, for what its worth. Nothing wrong with trying the ERAU flight training and then deciding that there is a better method for you, if you decide that to be true.

It works out a lot better for people who do a lot of clubs and organizations, as well as those in ROTC. Nothing like getting the 12am IFR flight block and having PT at 5am the next morning for a whole semester.

Back