AirLifeLine

IrishSheepdog

Sitting in the median
Anyone here flown for AirLifeLine? (http://www.airlifeline.org) I want to volunteer for the organization and do some flights... only problem is I rent, and finances are low. I'd really like to find someone who wouldn't mind me using their plane, but I dunno if THAT will happen.
crazy.gif
Anyone used a rental for this organization? I figure doing it two or three times a year wouldn't be a killer... even though I would love to do it more.

I was thinking the same thing as you... and I got in touch with them over a year ago. after a few emails, I havent heard back, but my email also changed. One option that gets you outta the "getting an airplane" dilemma would be to ride along right seat. That was gonna be my plan anyways... anyone else ????

Pilots may use their own aircraft or rent an aircraft. <--taken from their www page. Shouldnt be a problem....I wouldnt mind riding right seat, as I'm sure the PIC wouldnt mind an extra hand...

Using a rental is fine, but the insurance requirements listed on the application in the aircraft to be used section still applies. In many cases there will be more than one person, and often luggage on top of that, so a second Pilot isn't always an option.
The service these organizations provide to people who aren't in a position to use commercial transportation to get to and from the medical care they need is priceless, and greatly appreciated. Just remember if you're going along as a second Pilot to be sensitive to the needs and feelings of the people you're transporting, the majority of them are going through the toughest time of their lives, and in some cases won't be around much longer.
I know this comes off sounding kind of preachy, that really wasn't what I intended, I sincerely hope that those of you that are thinking of volunteering your time and resources decide to do it, I don't think it's something you'll regret.

I know for a fact I'm going to do it, I just need a plane.
grin.gif

I also asked two friends who have worked in health care if they would be willing to assist as a "non-pilot mission assistant" should I get this going and get a mission. I think this would be a totally worthwhile use of my pilot certificates. And I can stay here in the states... I have been highly considering trying to go fly overseas for humanitarian aid missions.

I am a member of AirLifeLine, and I've flown about 6 missions. It is a nice way to make flying tax deductable, and help some people who really need it. PM me with any questions.

Back