Airforce or Marines??

Vaid

I’d like to know what is the difference of being a pilot in one of the two branches. (Pros and Cons of Marines and AF)
Thanks
confused.gif

My opinion.

Marines

Pros:
-You're a Marine
-fly off aircraft carriers/ships
-become an expert in Close Air Support (the primary mission of Marine air is to support the Marine on the ground)

Cons:
-Deploy more and more aboard ship (@ 6 months +)
-Are a rifleman first, pilot second; as all Marines are.
-could have to fly the Ospery.

USAF:

Pros:
-can do a variety of missions from bomber to fighter to airlift. Marines, with limited aircraft types, are limited in doing this.
-Don't have to fly off ships
-AF generally better quality of life

Cons:
-deployments getting as bad length-wise as Marines/Navy
-long service committment following pilot training
-could get assigned to fly UAV remote control planes; the death assignment for any pilot.

MD

If you've got a choice, the Air Force is the only way to go. The lifestyle in the Air Force cannot be topped by any other service. I really don't see any advantages in going to the Marines unless you like being on a boat more. You can deploy all you want and fly all around the world with the boys in blue, but you'll tend to stay at nice Officer Quarters or hotels. These days though, everyone is sleeping in a sand colored tent.

The pro of the Marine Corps is the privilege of being a U.S. Marine! If you put it to the balance sheet, the Corps will never win, but the intangibles even things out a lot.

You have to always remember, you're an Officer first, Aviatior second. In the Marines that is expecially true. If you go into the Marines, you'd better really want to be a Marine. It's alot about how you want to live and what you want to be. The Air Force has a better standard of living for all its' people. The Marines claim to fame.....Your'e a MARINE, HO RAH!

I almost forgot. Air Force, think big heavy multi-engine or fighter. Marines, Helicopters, fighters, VSTOL.

I spoke to a retired F-18 Marine Pilot (now United pilot) he said he joined the Marines cause they were the only one who would garentee he would get into flight training. Many hopeful navy pilots never get to fly but they're signed up anyhow so they spend there time doing somthing they wish they weren't.

He described it like this
Marine Pilots get to sleep in tents.
Navy Pilots get to sleep in bunks on ships.
Air Force pilot get their own house on base!

I'd compair it by which one gives you the best chance of getting into flight training. Don't forget to look at army, navy and coast guard too, they also have fixed and rotary winged aircraft.

Is it typical that Marines guarantee pilot slots or was that just a special circumstance? I'm entering NROTC this fall and would appreciate as much information as possible.

[ QUOTE ]
I spoke to a retired F-18 Marine Pilot (now United pilot) he said he joined the Marines cause they were the only one who would garentee he would get into flight training. Many hopeful navy pilots never get to fly but they're signed up anyhow so they spend there time doing somthing they wish they weren't.

I'd compair it by which one gives you the best chance of getting into flight training. Don't forget to look at army, navy and coast guard too, they also have fixed and rotary winged aircraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a strange comment of the AF. I guess all the times I deployed I was really living in my home with soft sided walls and sand in every nook and cranny including my ear. BTW, I've never lived on base. I guess people will never get over their perceptions of the AF of the 70s and 80s.

Take car anf fly safe,

Chris Bow

[ QUOTE ]

guard too, they also have fixed and rotary winged aircraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but at least the Navy pilots have Marines onboard to dance with, doh!

Back