Airfield Operations Officer

Has anyone had experience being an airfield operations officer or does anyone know of this job? I'm looking for what a week in the life entails as well as if it is possible to transfer the little atc experience over to the FAA after four years. Also, how hard is it to get selected for this after ROTC if I have an ATC degree? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone had experience being an airfield operations officer or does anyone know of this job? I'm looking for what a week in the life entails as well as if it is possible to transfer the little atc experience over to the FAA after four years. Also, how hard is it to get selected for this after ROTC if I have an ATC degree? Thanks in advance.

Most of the ones I knew were rated aviators.

With an ATC degree I'd say you have a pretty good chance at it. I tried to pursue airfield ops late in my ROTC tenure, after I decided I didn't want to be a pilot. By that time, I was graduating with a poly sci degree and didn't stand much of a chance. My backup was intel, but I ended up getting classified as a manpower/personnel officer due to the AF having some of my information wrong during the classification process. I tried cross-flowing into airfield ops later on, but was denied due to Force Shaping going on at the time.

I was actually able to voluntarily separate earlier this year after only completing about half of my original ROTC commitment (thanks to Force Shaping), and have actually been hired by the FAA as an air traffic controller through one of their public hiring announcements. So it all ended up well in the end.

You would have a pretty good chance. Airfield ops officers go through the airfield manager course, ATC (you get rated and work the tower some, but not as much as the enlisted controllers) and you get to do lots of paperwork. Not the greatest, but I do think you could get in with the FAA without too much hassle.

Aside from tower duties, you'll basically be an airport manager. Nothing wrong with that. Looked at the starting salaries lately? You'll like what you see. Check out www.aaae.org.

atp

they are non rated officers, and preform a certain amount of ATC duties per month to stay current. Pretty good career field if you are not going on the rated side.

Back