Aircraft Poll

[ QUOTE ]

As far as piston I'd go with the T-34B. Turbine wise the Piper Malibu is by far the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get a T-34B as a civilian? I know my father flew those in the Navy out of Pensacola Naval Air Station.

Single Engine Piston : Bonanza

Twin Engine Piston : Baron 58P (better parts availability than the Aerostar). But true...The Aerostar is faaaast

Turbine Single : Pilatus PC-12

FYI I'm pretty sure Piper still sells the Malibu Mirrage (piston engined), which cruises in the 220kt area... on one engine.

-Sean

The Malibu is kind of like a Jaguar.......have you ever seen a Jaguar bumper sticker that reads,
"Ohh...but when it runs!"

Also, if you're going to do some serious flying in weather and can afford it, you'd rather have an extra engine hanging out there.

T-34Bs are no longer used by the Navy, but they are using a newer version. The T-34B's are no turbine. They are sort of hard to find, but a lot of the Navy flying clubs have them. I'm getting checked out in one roght now

A brand new Piper Seneca V with turbocharging and all the cockpit ammenities!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

brand new Diamond Twin Star with the new turbo-diesel engines...cruise at 180kt @ 10gph, glass cockpit...that plane looks pimp

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My vote would go to the Baron...

Mooney would be a close second... Does anyone know what it cruises at?

[/ QUOTE ]

220 Knots - fastest single-prop plane to date. The Baron at a high-speed cruise is 202 Knots...but the Baron is nice because it's got room for 6 people.

[/ QUOTE ]

What can a Glasair or Lanceair do. I always thought it was faster. There's also a guy at my home airport rebuilding an old Bellenca Skyrocket which is the fastet Piston ever produced (only like 2 or 3).

[ QUOTE ]
There's also a guy at my home airport rebuilding an old Bellenca Skyrocket which is the fastet Piston ever produced (only like 2 or 3).

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that claim.

Bellanca Skyrocket
bellanca_ch400_1.jpg

CH-200 Pacemaker: 220 hp Wright J-5 (1928)
CH-300 Pacemaker: 330 hp Wright J-6 (1929)
300-W Pacemaker: 300 hp P&W Wasp (1930)
CH-400 Skyrocket: 420 hp P&W Wasp C (1930)
Model D Skyrocket: 450 hp P&W Wasp (1932)
Model E Pacemaker: 420 hp Wright J-6 (1932)
Model F Skyrocket: 550 hp P&W Wasp (1934)
31-40 Pacemaker Senior: 400 hp Wright R-975 Cyclone (1935)
31-42 Pacemaker Senior: 13-40 with more powerful engine (1935)
31-50 Skyrocket Senior: 550 hp P&W Wasp Hornet (1935)
JE: U.S. Navy utility version of the Pacemaker
RE: U.S. Navy transport version of the Skyrocket 

Some stats on a 600HP version:
One of two known remaining examples of 14 built in Canada under Bellanca license. 
10 place seating capacity. 
Manufactured in 1946, original serial #03.
Total time 5010 hours (as of May, 1972).
Wing span 50'6"
Length 27';11"
Height 8'6"
Wing area 359 SF
Gross weight 6,450 lbs
Empty weight 3,760 lbs
Cruising speed 160 MPH
Range 890 miles
Powerplant was 600 HP P&W R1340.
The 3155A model has no flaps, and was built in Canada and in Delaware. 
In 1955 the original fuselage serial #3 replaced with new fuselage, #32, and records ammended
accordingly.
Last flown in 1972. Aircraft was dismantled then for recover and engine sent out for overhaul, but the
former owner's plans changed due to $$ problems, and engine forfeited to overhaul shop. We bought the rest of the package, and it has been in storage since. 
Wings are intact,
Fuselage still has instruments in panel.
Landing gear
Cowlings
Fuel tanks
Struts
Fairings
Control surfaces
Doors
Seats (some)
Stabilizer needs rebuild.
Three bladed 3D40 propeller included with 6101-13 blades.
NO ENGINE
An extremely rare example of early aviation history.
Package includes a spare NOS (new old stock) never flown (really) fuselage 
Bellanca Skyrocket for sale

No it doesn't look like that. I might have the wrong name I'll ask the guy next time I see him. This kinda looks like a big Lanceair. Barry Schiff wrote about it in one of him books; I think it was Profficent Pilot. Any way he held the piston power record in an Aerostar until this airplane was made and it crushed the Aerostars record with one engine.

Cessna Caravan on Floats.

I know, not piston, but if I do pick a piston engine does that mean you'll really give me one?

CJ

[ QUOTE ]
What can a Glasair or Lancair do. I always thought it was faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glasair III approx 250-270 kts
Lancair approx 270 kts
Questair Venture approx 300kts.
There was a Baron 55 produced with Duke engines that would run 250 kts.

Yeah I thought they were faster then the Mooney, but I've never even seen any.

I would get a Harmon Rocket Van's RV-8 with a totally pimped out IFR cockpit. That thing would be the closest to a GA f16 that i can get
wink.gif
Cruises at something like 220kts
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What can a Glasair or Lancair do. I always thought it was faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glasair III approx 250-270 kts
Lancair approx 270 kts
Questair Venture approx 300kts.
There was a Baron 55 produced with Duke engines that would run 250 kts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they make a turboprop Venture? I saw something that looked like a Venture on the ramp the other day, but I couldn't identify it. It looked like a Venture with a PT6 slapped on the nose. Retractable gear, 1 or 2 seats, and fast as hell getting up off the pavement.

Back