Aircraft forced to make emergency landing on Long Island beach

Oxman

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...y-landing-long-island-beach-article-1.3785826

A small aircraft made an emergency landing on a Long Island beach Monday morning, authorities said.
The single-engine Cessna 172 with three people on board, including the pilot, landed safely in Fire Island's Robert Moses State Park at about 9:20 a.m.
There were no injuries, according to New York State Park Police.
It wasn't immediately clear why an emergency landing was required. A spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration said they were investigating the incident.

beach-plane.jpg

Local news here says it flipped over after everyone had gotten out because of the wind, not during the landing.

That sounds ... implausible. The bent prop and bent wing strut don't do much to back up that story. Or the apparent furrow in front of the plane.

This is what happens when you retract the flaps in the flare.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...State-Park-Long-Island-Babylon-471635044.html

Probably nose wheel burrowed pretty good giving it nose down attitude and causing prop to strike. Wind picked up the tail and flipped it after everyone was out. I don't know if you've ever experienced Long Island winter beach winds but they're quite strong and miserable.

Plane belongs to the flight school I instructed at. Instructor and students are okay. It was a perfect landing. Nose dug into the sand then flipped over. They were practicing engine outs and went to recover and there was no power.

The photo contradicts that claim.
Sounds like someone trying to reclassify the occurrence.

Land on a beach and bend the nose gear and the prop, incident. Even if it goes on to be flipped by the wind afterward.

Flip the airplane over and bend a lift strut and it’s an accident.

That sounds ... implausible. The bent prop and bent wing strut don't do much to back up that story. Or the apparent furrow in front of the plane.

This is what happens when you retract the flaps in the flare.
Agree. Implausible.
That looks like endocrinology to me.
The real question to me is, how the heck did the wing strut get so tweaked? Just endo-ing would not typically do that. Marks in sand could indicate a wing strike during the flip. Maybe.
Footprints in the sand sure make it look the Pax exited after the flip.

I learned to fly on Long Island, I'd be willing to bet they put down on the beach, with an empty parking lot only a few hundred yards to the north. I can think of a situation where I've been flying low over the water where the parking lot would be out out of glide distance, but even at an altitude of 500ft there should have been viable pavement to set down on instead of the beach.

I learned to fly on Long Island, I'd be willing to bet they put down on the beach, with an empty parking lot only a few hundred yards to the north. I can think of a situation where I've been flying low over the water where the parking lot would be out out of glide distance, but even at an altitude of 500ft there should have been viable pavement to set down on instead of the beach.
Sand can work. But only if you keep pulling the stick into your crotch until the plane stops.

Sand can work. But only if you keep pulling the stick into your crotch until the plane stops.
My point is, whenI was learning, I always had in the back of my mind I could put down on a beach in case of emergency. During my private checkride my check airman kinda led me down the path of choosing the beach and then pointed out that there was a gigantic empty parking lot we had just passed. That was in the same vicinity of this mishap.

Was the engine running a teensy bit rough?
Ref for @mikecweb

What in the actual F ?!

Please tell me he got violated/suspension/revocation/something! It's clear from his line of questioning (public beach, private beach, then teensy bit rough, to sick passenger) is all B.S. just so he could land on a beach. Does anyone know the followup in terms of what happened to him?

Back