Aircraft down in Colorado

fletchersteel

Overhead the news say something tonight about an airplane that went down today near COS. Anybody have any info on it? Couldn't find it online yet. Just curious as to what aircraft type thought it could handle the winds today.

That's probably the one. Heard something about Ft Carson. Thanx! And it looks like they still cannot get to the one that killed 2 a few days ago near Trinidad.

I did some checking.

No accidents have been reported in the COS area in the last 7 days. The incident you are asking about is more than likely the one that occured last spring.

I checked both the FAA and NTSB data bases and my contacts in each agency.

Thank God for no accidents.

Fly safe! :rawk:

uhm....both of the reports i listed are from the NTSB and are from this year......not sure where safetyengineer logs on, but (with all due respect) he's wrong.

Ozone,

As I stated, I didn't see any reports from either the FAA or NSTB in the last seven days in that involved Colorado Springs, but I could be wrong. I see accidents that happened this year at COS, but not with in the last week. I'm only human and I can be wrong. And if I am wrong I apologize and I will look to where I went wrong and see if I can post better information. Thank you for pointing this out. Seriously, thank you.

Happy New Year!

Fly high, fly safe! :rawk:

Having checked both the PEOPLE I know in the FAA and the NTSB and I checked the NTSB report numbers you gave, it reveled two things, the accidents were not with in the week I had searched and neither happened in Colorado Springs. One was in Stonewall Colorado (119 miles) and the other was in Hayden Colorado (258 miles). So, I guess I was wrong in the sense the accidents didn't happen at COS, but the post was made on 12/30/08 and it stated "today" so going from that day and giving a week as a guide, neither crash happened in the time specified.

Here is what my research has shown: (From the NTSB data base.)

1. CEN09LA097

<CENTER>NTSB Identification: CEN09LA097
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, December 20, 2008 in Stonewall, CO
Aircraft: BEECH 58, registration: C-GGBT
Injuries: 2 Fatal.</CENTER>

<CENTER>This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.</CENTER>
On December 20, 2008, about 1951 mountain standard time, a twin-engine Beech 58P airplane, C-GGBT, was destroyed when it impacted terrain following a loss of control near Stonewall, Colorado. The private pilot and single passenger sustained fatal injuries. The airplane was registered to and operated by Mauroil International Inc., of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Night visual meteorological conditions prevailed and an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan was filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. The 178-nautical mile cross-country flight originated from the Pueblo Memorial Airport, Pueblo, Colorado (PUB), at 1918 with the Santa Fe Municipal Airport (SAF), Santa Fe, New Mexico, as the intended destination.

Reportedly, the airplane was in cruise flight at 18,000 feet mean sea level (MSL) when it began an "uncontrolled" descent toward an area of rising mountainous terrain. The last known radar position placed the airplane at 12,800 feet MSL and one mile east of Vermejo Peak (13,367 feet MSL). A short time later a ground fire was reported by a passing airplane in the vicinity of the accident airplane's last known coordinates.

The wreckage was located on December 21, 2008, at an elevation of approximately 12,000 feet MSL. A helicopter crew was able to approach the accident site and confirm that the occupants had been fatally injured before operations were suspended due to deteriorating weather conditions. Recovery efforts will resume when weather condition allow.

At 1952, the automated weather observing system at the San Luis Valley Regional Airport/Bergman Field (ALS), Alamosa, Colorado, located 45 nautical miles northwest from the site of the accident, reported wind from 80 degrees at 6 knots, 10 statute miles visibility, clear of clouds, temperature 16 degrees Fahrenheit, dew point 7 degrees Fahrenheit, and a barometric pressure setting of 30.04 inches of Mercury.

2. CEN09FA098

<CENTER>NTSB Identification: CEN09FA098
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, December 22, 2008 in Hayden, CO
Aircraft: PIPER PA-46, registration: N46SB
Injuries: 2 Fatal.</CENTER>

<CENTER>This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.</CENTER>
On December 22, 2008, approximately 1205 mountain standard time, a Piper PA-46-310P, N46SB, registered to and operated by the pilot, was destroyed when it collided with terrain following a loss of control during landing an instrument landing approach to the Yamp Valley Airport (HDN), Hayden, Colorado. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The personal flight was being conducted under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91, and an instrument flight plan had been filed. The private pilot and commercial pilot on board the airplane were fatally injured. The cross-country flight originated at Hutchison (HUT), Kansas, at 1013 central standard time, and was en route to HDN.

Preliminary information indicates the pilot had been cleared for the ILS (instrument landing system) approach to runway 10 at HDN. Radar showed the airplane proceeding outbound for the procedure turn. After making the turn, the airplane crossed the localizer at a 90-degree angle. The pilot reported he was having "landing gear problems." The pilot was vectored back towards the localizer, then he reported that the problem had been resolved and that he had "three green lights." Radar showed the airplane crossing the localizer and entering a steep left turn. Radar coverage was then lost.

Aided by ELT (emergency locater transmitter) signals, the wreckage was located by search and rescue personnel approximately 1645 at a location 2.5 miles west of the Elk Head Reservoir. The on-scene investigation has been postponed until weather conditions improve.

So, there is your information. I hope this clears things up.
(With all due respect) I take a lot of pride in what I post and I do not intentionally post wrong information and if the information I post is wrong, I will be the first to correct it. But again, thank you Ozone for bringing this to my attention.

Fly safe!:rawk:

Hiya Safetyengineer!

Glad you found the same information I did. Of course, my post was a wee bit off too, since my post was one year late :buck:.

Anyway, I have appreciated your other posts and I find them interesting...so no harm done.

Thank you Ozone!

I have enjoyed your posts too. This is what I love about this community, we can talk or debate like adults. JC is a great place to exchange ideas and information.

Again, I really do want to thank you for keeping me in check. Seriously. :D

Fly higher, fly better, fly safer! :rawk:

:banghead:
Sorry, I just picked up on my grammar error. A reason I hate spell check. I am sorry. I meant to say I discovered information, not that I was excited about the information. Sorry for the confusion. :(

My goal is to post accurate information, not be ghoulish. Forgive me. I have spent 16 years saving people's lives, I would never revel in someone's suffering or death. Please don't misunderstand me.

With respect and acknowledgement I was wrong in my wording, :confused:

Eric
Safety Engineer :rawk:

Just a light jerk on your chain S.E. Please realize I was kidding. I wasn't seriously implying anything at all.

Back