Aircraft down in Chicago suburbs

News report says the pilot was still alive but covered from head to toe in flames...he was conscious long enough to say his wife was the passenger...

Reporting 1 dead so far...

Weird, I was walking out to my car from the grocery store about 2 or 3 miles South and saw the smoke. In my head I said that was close to Clow, wonder if an airplane crashed. Unfortunately I was correct.

ozziecat35 said:
I dunno, look at the wing tip, closest to the bank, looks like a Cirrus.
Which photo? I'm not seeing anything via my phone except fire and a high overlook. I've looked for other pics but no luck do far.

Also didn't hear of a death. RIP.

Which photo? I'm not seeing anything via my phone except fire and a high overlook. I've looked for other pics but no luck do far.

Also didn't hear of a death. RIP.

The link changed, here is the one I was talking about.

9261839_600x338.jpg

ryanmickG said:
How the hell can you tell that is a cirrus?
I can tell by the fact I owned one and know the curve and graphics on the wing. I also see it as a SR20 not a SR22 as reported on flightaware.

Last edited:
Yeah, the wingtip on the Cirrus is pretty unmistakable. The pilot is still in critical condition with some massive burns apparently.

Queue the "dangerous airport / little airplanes" chatter.

If the pilot is the aircraft owner, I've spoken to him a number of times. He flies out of Georgetown (27K), Kentucky and owns a medical supply company.

Last edited:
How the hell can you tell that is a cirrus?
Flight aware says it was a Cirrus, ATC audio says it was a Cirrus, and it's been officially announced it was a Cirrus.

This sucks... 2nd crash in 2 years in that same region. 2 years ago a Cherokee 6 did a tailwind takeoff and landed into the top floor of an X-Sport Fitness, and another Cirrus entered IMC without an instrument rating, and ended up killing himself, his wife, daughter, and her boyfriend. Now, this...

Back