Aircraft down at Joliet

The eyewitness student pilot at the airport said it was a high wing aircraft, but it was a 1992 Lancair 360 built by Lantzair Flyers Inc. It was landing at night, so I don't know how he saw it that well. I just hope the occupants died on impact, before the fire got to them.

When I opened the thread I thought for sure it was going to be about a mid-air. Joliet is a scary VOR with many APP starting at it. Always sucks to hear about this. RIP fellow aviators.

Nice how the lady introducing the story says "a small cessna" then later on you hear the guy reporting the story say it is a "home built aircraft". Gotta love the media!!!!

As strange as this sounds, since I investigate crashes, it breaks my heart to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

RIP Pilots of the sky, and I pray that the families are not alone in this time of grief. I am so sorry.

Flying now with wings on their back. :(

Best wishes,

Eric
Safety Engineer

I flew over JOT this morning, say the crash site. it's really humbling to see it from 1000 ft agl.

All you can make out is a scar starting on the edge of the taxiway going into the grass and burn marks off rwy 12. (but then again, it was 6:30 am)

RIP to those who lost their lives...

Okay, the news got about 90% of their facts wrong.

Fact 1: This pilot landed safely at Joliet and because the FBO was closed, he was calling around looking for fuel.

Fact 2: I know Fact 1 because he called me at DPA looking for fuel.

Fact 3: He was talking to a woman in the background while he was talking to me on the phone and said to her "Yes, it would work if we siphon fuel from that because it's a high-wing airplane."

Fact 4: He wanted to know how far of a drive it was from JOT to DPA so he could bring a couple of gas cans here to fill them with 100LL. "All I really need is about five gallons of avgas," were his exact workds.

Fact 5: When he spoke to me on the phone he stated that he was trying to land at DPA and blew right by it because he couldn't find it as his GPS 'crapped out'.

Fact 6: This plane did NOT crash on landing, it crashed on take-off.

All of this points to pilot error and a case of gettheritis. It's a tragedy, but given the facts, it could have been very much avoided. :banghead:

Okay, the news got about 90% of their facts wrong.

Fact 1: This pilot landed safely at Joliet and because the FBO was closed, he was calling around looking for fuel.

Fact 2: I know Fact 1 because he called me at DPA looking for fuel.

Fact 3: He was talking to a woman in the background while he was talking to me on the phone and said to her "Yes, it would work if we siphon fuel from that because it's a high-wing airplane."

Fact 4: He wanted to know how far of a drive it was from JOT to DPA so he could bring a couple of gas cans here to fill them with 100LL. "All I really need is about five gallons of avgas," were his exact workds.

Fact 5: When he spoke to me on the phone he stated that he was trying to land at DPA and blew right by it because he couldn't find it as his GPS 'crapped out'.

Fact 6: This plane did NOT crash on landing, it crashed on take-off.

All of this points to pilot error and a case of gettheritis. It's a tragedy, but given the facts, it could have been very much avoided. :banghead:

Sorry to hear that bud

What's that huge minivan like thing the CAP has next to the 182's? (the airplane, that is)

Wow.

That's a shame. It sucks when stuff like this can be avoided. It really is too bad.
Still, my thoughts and prayers are there.

R.I.P.

Safety Engineer :(

Sorry to hear that bud

What's that huge minivan like thing the CAP has next to the 182's? (the airplane, that is)

GA-8 Airvan. It's CAP's platform for the ARCHER remote sensing system as well as an airborne truck to haul things around in. Basically, it's CAP's answer to a Caravan since they needed something that can do what Caravans do but without the turbo-prop. Don't get all that excited about it, though, it's not that comfortable of a plane to fly in. ;)

GA-8 Airvan. It's CAP's platform for the ARCHER remote sensing system as well as an airborne truck to haul things around in. Basically, it's CAP's answer to a Caravan since they needed something that can do what Caravans do but without the turbo-prop. Don't get all that excited about it, though, it's not that comfortable of a plane to fly in. ;)

thought thats what it was called...

i love how a us gov sponsored fleet includes aussie planes ;)

Back