Air Safety Panel Releasing Report on Automation

Yes indeed. I can't believe this thing is certified for Cat II.
Where I flew it, it wasn't. RVR 1800 is a comfortable place. As I understand things they're doing Cat II now for a limited amount of the pilot group (which makes no sense), but I have my own fish to fry and so don't mind their business much.

But indeed. The quality of that autopilot set was pretty pitiful on an RNAV DP. (It could have been our FMS too, I'm pretty sure AMR got us the one that, while redneck proof, was RNP "Good 'nuff!" as opposed to any actual quality.) It was rough, would over- or under-shoot consistently based on CDI deflection...just on down the line.

Related but tangential: people who would use the HDG SEL page need to go away.

I only know one guy who refers to the autopilot as "Fifi," and his blog went away a little while back. Is this the same guy?

http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/11/commercial-pilots-really-suck-manual-flying/#.Uo-vlcSkqxX

The first five paragraphs:
A 277-page FAA report is the culprit referred to in these venerable—and not so venerable—publications (Gizmodo, after all, is mostly known for such scoops as, “How much would it cost to build the Starship Enterprise”, and “How much would it cost to to build the Death Star.”) With all due respect to the WSJ, the sensationalistic, knee-jerk media seem to be having a field day with this “bombshell.”

I think we can fairly ask: How true are these headlines, really? As a Captain for a major U.S. airline, on one of the most automated airplanes in history—the Airbus A320—I believe I can speak with authority on this issue. Indeed, I have flown the A320 class (A321 through A319) for nearly 20 years.

The exhaustive FAA report, to be discussed with industry leaders later this month, analyzed some 3,000 commercial flights worldwide, and apparently comes to the disturbing conclusion that the greatest danger in the sky today is the automated cockpit. Ironic, since the whole goal of automation in the cockpit has been to improve safety. The study appears to single out two main issues: over-reliance on automation, and inadequate training on increasingly sophisticated systems.

And sophisticated, the Airbus is. From the first few seconds after takeoff to the last few minutes before landing, nearly every pilot leaves the flying to Fifi (our affectionate name for the French-built Airbus, despite her automated male voice). Why? Because, when it comes to airliners, flying an airplane is nothing. Safely managing a flight is everything.

Courtesy: Ismael Jorda

The moment I punch the FCU and leave the driving to Fifi, my mind’s tendency to tunnel vision suddenly expands to see the “Big Picture.” Rather than be distracted with the minutiae of keeping this speed, that heading and climbing to that altitude, my attention is freed up considerably by letting her do the dirty work. This situational awareness is critical to the safe handling of an airliner.

mshunter said:
Like so many arguments on the internet, they depend on the environment and scenario of the individual poster.
No no no. We only speak in absolutes round here![/QUOTE] Leave to not butcher up a quote then bud. Come on. Sheesh.

See, since you jacked yours up, my quote of you is all jacked up.

Arg!

My experiences in "the box" vs. my experiences hand flying in an actual airplane suggest strongly to me that it makes rather a large difference when you've spent the last 3 nights up late in the hotel room poring over the gouge, profiles, etc. Which isn't to say that it's wise to hand fly a RNAV departure just cause you can. Just that when everything is going pear shaped, the skills upon which I've drawn weren't skills that were particularly applicable in the old torture-chamber-on-stilts. Like, knowing how it's "supposed to go" is a mite different from "oh, poopie, something's wrong, now what?"

Incidentally, I think these threads inevitably bring out a bit of chest-bumping between all of the various Tribes of Pilots. We've all seen it plenty. And, yeah, everyone probably thinks they're "better" than everyone else (and I'm quite sure the usual suspects will be along to say "but but but THEY started it"). But it IS still possible to have a thread about automation without having it degenerate in to "No-talent button-pushing systems managers" vs. "Undisciplined, uneducated juvenile cowboys". Double dog dare ya!

No matter how much you study, it won't change your hands. I'm talking about pphysically controlling the aircraft. Managing it just becomes an exercise in verbalizing which buttons need mashed.

You're light, things can go pear-shaped. If you have good habits, techniques, and ffoundational skills, it's much easier to deal with the occasional oddball situation.

Back