Air Jamaica Sold

lostplanetairman

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20090704/lead/lead1.html

Air Jamaica sold - First murmurs about who has bought the national carrier have surfaced

Published: Saturday | July 4, 2009

Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:

The Gleaner has learnt that Indigo Partners and Oaktree Capital, who are reportedly the owners of Spirit Airlines, have bought the country's national carrier, Air Jamaica.

It is further understood that Air Jamaica's name might be changed to Spirit of Jamaica.

Sources close to the negotiations are tight-lipped, but they have confirmed that Trinidadian-owned Caribbean Airlines did not win the bid to take over the Jamaican airline.

Earlier, Spirit had announced the completion of a strategic investment, led by Indigo Partners LLC and funds managed by Oaktree Capital Management LLC. The investment will provide significant resources for the company to consolidate its position as the leading low-cost carrier to the Caribbean, and pursue its long-term growth strategy.

Read this article this morning, sad to see my national carrier have its image changed!:( I was really hoping whoever picked the airline up would keep it exactly the way it is, which is Jamaican cultured! Any Jamaican who flies on Air J will tell you the feeling of already being in JA upon stepping aboard. Air J has actually netted profit so far this year which is another reason I was against this whole selling plan, but O well!:(

What de jail?!!?

So they didn't want Caribbean to take it over and they thought Spirit is a better idea?!

Smh....

How is selling a 9 Airbus operation with 2500 employees to an airline with 9 737's and 5 Dash 8's equal cost savings? Look, they were losing money since 1994 (or before). They only made money the last quarter as they were told they needed to bolster the books to be sold.

How is selling a 9 Airbus operation with 2500 employees to an airline with 9 737's and 5 Dash 8's equal cost savings? Look, they were losing money since 1994 (or before). They only made money the last quarter as they were told they needed to bolster the books to be sold.

Since when do you have to have one aircraft type to save/make money?

Back