Air France and relatives in the cockpit

Stone Cold

So, I had a weird flight yesterday. Flying from Paris to Moscow on AF, it was a full flight. Except my row. I had it all to myself. I was very happy since I was tired, so I stretched out and slept. Then the meal service started, and the FA brought 2 young girls to sit in my row.

I looked at her like she had 2 heads, since I had just woke up, and she said it's a full flight, and they have to sit there. She also said they were in the cockpit for takeoff. Huh? I must still be asleep. So I eat my meal, and go back to sleep, but now I'm in the window seat, and not in my original aisle seat.

I wake up for landing and the girls are gone, but now my phone, which I had put in the seatback pocket of the aisle, is gone and there's a guy in the aisle seat. I recognize him since he was sitting right across the aisle from me with his family. Great. What a way to start the rotation. I let the FA's know it's missing, and they help me look for the phone as the pax are leaving. Nothing.

The pilot comes out to find out why the FA's and I are lifting seats now. I told him where my phone was and that it had grown legs while I was asleep, and the 2 girls had disappeared. I asked him if he could ask the girls if they had seen it. He said that's my niece(s) and they was in the cockpit. I will not question them about your phone. He hands me off to the Russian AF agent, and she just looks at me and says yeah, you have to leave the plane. No information taken, nothing.

So, today I wrote Delta (who the ticket was with) and AF asking about getting some help with the phone issue and the policy for AF and civilians.

Anybody on here know their policies on this? I know they've been in trouble in the past with stripping FA's, etc. I would be absolutely amazed this is allowed still considering the threats, on an international flight, no less...

Lesson of the day, don't fall asleep on a flight and expect your phone to still be with you. Also, what the hell, Air France??

Last edited:
They were so helpful when one of their PAX attacked me. Sigh. Never heard a peep from Air Frog, but Delta was helpful.

Girls probably thought they stole Steve Austin's phone.

Russians going to leak your photos now.
Yeah, nothing bad on that phone. That's a different phone. :D I was careful when writing the airlines customer service to not accuse the girls of taking it. It could have been the guy that sat there at the end of the flight. Of course, he had his family there, and was helping us look for the phone. So, if he did it, he should get an Academy Award for his acting to help!!

Most airlines in Europe can allow anyone in the flight deck. The exception that I'm familiar with is any flight in and out of the U.K. and any flight operated by a U.K. carrier.

I lived in Spain and some companies there required authorization from the airline, but other than that anyone could ride up there. I know at Air Berlin, it is (or was) completely up to the discretion of the captain.

Most airlines in Europe can allow anyone in the flight deck. The exception that I'm familiar with is any flight in and out of the U.K. and any flight operated by a U.K. carrier.

I lived in Spain and some companies there required authorization from the airline, but other than that anyone could ride up there. I know at Air Berlin, it is (or was) completely up to the discretion of the captain.
Interesting... I know it used to be like that, but didn't know it was still that way. Thanks for the information!

Interesting... I know it used to be like that, but didn't know it was still that way. Thanks for the information!

I've ridden on the jumpseat of two different European carriers. In both cases the captain was standing at ticket counter when I didn't get on and heard I was traveling on a zed fare and asked who I worked for. In both cases he knew who the carrier was and asked what I did for them. And in both cases when I said I was a pilot he offered the jumpseat. In one case he looked at my ID. In the other he didn't.

Very different world of there than from the States (and the UK).

That sucks about the phone though.

I rode the FA jumpseat on a very prominent UK carrier once. My wife got the last seat in the cabin and they stuck me on the jumpseat. I was surprised to say the least.

I've ridden on the jumpseat of two different European carriers. In both cases the captain was standing at ticket counter when I didn't get on and heard I was traveling on a zed fare and asked who I worked for. In both cases he knew who the carrier was and asked what I did for them. And in both cases when I said I was a pilot he offered the jumpseat. In one case he looked at my ID. In the other he didn't.

Very different world of there than from the States (and the UK).

That sucks about the phone though.
I like it.

"Come on, we're goin' flying."

I did a desk job for Lufthansa a few years back and we got zed fares as the pass travel benny. Sat in the FA jump a few times and in the cockpit as well when the flights were full. Seemed to be no big deal. It's too bad the innocence is gone for flying in this country...

I wish I could find the picture of me sitting with the skipper on an Eastern Airlines flight in cruise heading for Florida. I also remember the cloud of smoke in the cabin.

Back