Air Force One

Italianaviator

So I'm watching this documentary about Air force One and its pretty impressive, four member crew, pilot, co-pilot, engineer and navigator. Anytime any engine shows signs of wear they automatically overhaul or replace it. They actually have two 74's a fact that I didn't know, one is always on hand in case of emergencies and they normally fly over 50 people wherever they go to take care of the president and airplane. I've heard rumors that it cost 1 million an hour to operate is this true?

Re: Air Force On

I saw a similar one awhile back, was very interesting to see all the behind-the-scenes work and features. I don't doubt how expensive it must be with all the work that goes into keeping it in perfect condition.

Thought it was interesting that it even has a mini hospital along with all of the rooms that you would not think about at first.

What makes it such an expensive endeavor is the support personnel and equipment required that shadow the president's aircraft. All the "behind the scene" stuff the public doesn't see. Multiple aircraft to carry presidential helo's, vehicles, medical staff, white house staff, reporters and advance security personnel.

If the travel includes overseas stops then the second presidential B747 is also dispatched for a "just in case" scenario with multiple C17's following and leading the pack. I think that's all part of the $1million/hr equation. That's not just to operate one lone B747.

What makes it such an expensive endeavor is the support personnel and equipment required that shadow the president's aircraft. All the "behind the scene" stuff the public doesn't see. Multiple aircraft to carry presidential helo's, vehicles, medical staff, white house staff, reporters and advance security personnel.

If the travel includes overseas stops then the second presidential B747 is also dispatched for a "just in case" scenario with multiple C17's following and leading the pack. I think that's all part of the $1million/hr equation. That's not just to operate one lone B747.

Don't even get me started on how much goes into prezzie support besides the two 747s. I was gonna type it all out but I think it was actually classified.

Don't even get me started on how much goes into prezzie support besides the two 747s. I was gonna type it all out but I think it was actually classified.

Um, yep. It is....Suffice to say when the man's motorcade includes more vehicles than some governments own, cost doesn't count in the equation. Sometimes it's kind of embarrassing how heavy he travels.

Um, yep. It is....Suffice to say when the man's motorcade includes more vehicles than some governments own, cost doesn't count in the equation. Sometimes it's kind of embarrassing how heavy he travels.

Thats all for show. He normally just drives in a toyota corolla, but no one notices.

They also have a Citation X that he flys in, the 747 is just to distract you.

If you were to type it all out, you would have some explaining to do to Jack Bauer.

bauer.jpg

I don't think there is anything really secret squirrel about it, just does'nt need to be common knowledge on the internet.

I tell you what amazed me the most was the testing, locking and guarding precautions taken with regard to the fuel supplies.

<object width="512" height="296">is this the show you're talking about? It was pretty interesting...

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/x3db0V2d1h6UvTJw3JgXwA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/x3db0V2d1h6UvTJw3JgXwA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>
</object>

Thats all for show. He normally just drives in a toyota corolla, but no one notices.

They also have a Citation X that he flys in, the 747 is just to distract you.

See.... I wasnt BSing.

According to a White House spokesperson, Obama said he was taking his wife to the Big Apple "because I promised her during the campaign that I would take her to a Broadway show after it was all finished."
Instead of taking the larger Air Force One plane for their trip north, the Obamas took a smaller plane, a G-3, which became Air Force One once he boarded.
The press traveled in a separate aircraft, a G-5, and a G-3 carried White House support staff, according to the pool report.
White House spokesman Josh Earnest cites “efficiency” — as in fuel efficiency — as the reason the big plane is staying in the hanger and the smaller planes are being utilized, the pool report said.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/30/soccer-dad-in-chief/#more-54062

Back