Air Force One question

aceflyley

I flew into Billings about 10 days ago, and I saw (not very well, out of a dirty window on a fairchild metro) a jet parked painted just like air force one except it was a 737 (-300 or newer I think). My plane was late and I needed to make a really quick connection, so I didn't have time to get a better look. How many planes painted like that are there and what does the fleet consist of? (and who gets to ride on them?)

ya know - they had that plane here in town a bit ago... If i remember correctly, it's the plane Nixon(?) used to travel the country when he was president... i think at the time, the big/new plane was being built? I think they're touring the country for something...

Unless i'm wrong and it's Dubbya's smaller runway plane?!

just a few ideas....

hmm, that could be, but the previous air force one was a 707 right? I'm 99.9% sure that this one wasn't a 707. Or do you mean there was some sort of temporary air force one between the 707 and 747?

There are many a/c in that scheme. Everything from GIII-GV to 737 (BBJ) to 757 (C32?) to the mother ship 747. They hail from Andrews AFB I believe as the 89th airlift (correct me if I am wrong!) I personally have handled a GIII in that scheme carrying some D.C. VIPs.

[ QUOTE ]
There are many a/c in that scheme. Everything from GIII-GV to 737 (BBJ) to 757 (C32?) to the mother ship 747. They hail from Andrews AFB I believe as the 89th airlift (correct me if I am wrong!) I personally have handled a GIII in that scheme carrying some D.C. VIPs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's correct. The BBJ, known as the C-40A in USAF/USN parlance, is the newest addition to the VIP airlift role and is intended, I believe, to replace the aging C-9s. The 757 is indeed designated the C-32.

Funny thing about 89th Airlift Wing. It's the "mafia" for the transport world.
laugh.gif
You have to put in a package and be interviewed to fly for that unit's Airlift Squadrons. Once on, you'll start in the C-9/C-20 series and have to work your way up from there; with AF1 being another interview, I believe. Anyhow, I was looking at their website on the USAF Personnel Center website since I'm up for reassignment anyway and was screwing around with my curiousity by looking at how the transport world gets assignments. On the page that describes what minimums are required for consideration to this unit, it specifically states in bold script the statement "NO fighter or bomber time. In fact, here's the breakdown:

1a. Minimum requirements are as follows.

- Airlift or Tanker Major Weapon System (MWS) Aircraft Commander

-no fighter or bomber

- 2000 total hours

- 3 years Time on Station (TOS) by Feb 04

- Professional Military Education (PME) completed (any method), appropriate for rank and time in grade

- MWS/OSA Instructor/Evaluator experience

1b. 89th Airlift Wing highly desires in addition to above requirements.

- 2500 total hours

- 250 MWS/OSA instructor pilot hours

- MWS/OSA Evaluator Pilot experience

- Recent worldwide flight experience

- Minimal number of qualification level 3 (or equivalent) flight evaluations

MikeD writes: So A-10 time isn't suitable for this gig?

[ QUOTE ]

MikeD writes: So A-10 time isn't suitable for this gig?

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow, I just can't see you flying Air Force One...
grin.gif

I've been flying into Billings this bid period. I know that VP Cheney was visiting up there two weeks in a row. He came in on a B757 (AF2)and they parked on the UPS ramp one week. Strangely enough, UPS decided to fly one of our B757, instead of the usual A300, the exact same days Cheney was in town..Hmmmmmm.

BTW, UPS has the contract to train all B757 pilots of the 89th Airlift Wing which fly VIPs.

Back