Air Canada Jazz

HVYMETALDRVR

I've flown into Canada but I don't have any experience working there. But I was browsing and say that Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz are hiring at 1000 and 1500 hrs. respectively. I checked online and as long as you have a valid FAA Medical and Commercial Multi with no restrictions the licenses transfer over... Maybe an option for some if you don't mind shoveling snow.:nana2:

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/job/10565540

Thanks for the info! I might put in my stuff, but I don't have any Canadian liscense, but I did read they transfer over easy. Maybe if I'll just put "willing and able to obtain Canadian liscenses" on my resume?

Their pilots look more like train conductors IMO...worked the jazz flights at IAD and the crews are usually nice. A lot of their 200's are ex ACA/IDE.

If ya'll are willing to move to Canada, I'd seriously look into Jazz. I decided that if I was going to keep flying, it would be as an expat and Air Canada/Jazz were tops on my list. Their pay rates for flying RJ's around are an example of what we should have in the states.

pay_aircanadajazz2007.gif

12 days off a month for reserves, 14 days off a month for line holders. If I didn't have other plans, I'd head up there, move to BC or Ottawa and enjoy a decent wage while having some actual days off.

Shovel snow every morning, or do it the easy way and back the Dodge Ram with the plow into the garage every morning and finish in 5 seconds when you pull out to go to work, and have my family's health insurance taken care of. That's a lifestyle I could probably handle. Not to mention the pay difference.

PS - Random trivia for all to enjoy - Where is the only point in the CONUS (as far as I know) where you can drive SOUTH to get from the US to Canada?

Answer: Taking the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel from Michigan into Ontario! MapQuest it. Cheers.

You think they would even look at my app with no Canadian liscenses? Anyone know where I could convert my ratings? I'm sure it's not something you could do on-line is it?

I'd move to Vancouver in a heartbeat;)

Why would a Canadian company hire US citizens ?

THE SAME REASON. US companies hire Canadian, Australian, etc etc etc... , believe it or not, some corporate policies (written and un written) say to help with their classification of diversity of the workforce, they will have a certain % of foreign eligable employees. Especially if a company is trying to grow.

If you want to fly in Canada, you need the right to live and work there.

Propilot,

That's sort of what I was getting at by asking why a Canadian airline would hire non-Canadians. I suppose anything is possible but I'd bet the legal right to live/work there is only the first stumbling block. The next being that they probably also have qualified pilots coming out their ears.

Try China or Africa.

I had a Canadian work visa and license validation about 5 years ago but it was only a last resort for the company (now defunct) under very unusual and short lived circumstances. Today, they would not even hire me to sweep out the hangar. :laff:

Im at Jazz and we are hiring. Our bid had about 40+ openings right now. As others have pointed out, you will need Canadian licenses and the right to live/work up here to be considered.

The industry is slowly taking a toll for the worse up here too, although not quite as bad as in the USA. Westjet and Porter are pretty much the only 2 airlines that have been hiring consistently over the last while and are still recruiting. Air Canada is not hiring and is going through furlough mitigation, as we recently went through at Jazz. Lots of guys took an LOA and some went to work overseas (emirates, cathay, etc), while others were picked up by WJ.

As good as you guys think the pay is, believe it or not, but Jazz is quite often the butt of jokes up here. +15 years ago, guys at Air Ontario (Jazz is actually a regional airline that had 4 regionals merge into 1 massive company, Air Ontario, Air BC, Air Nova and Canadian Regional) were making $32000 to start as an FO on the Dash8. Their pilots had more days off and worked less on reserve too. Im coming up to year 2 pay in 2 weeks, and Ill be going to about $43000. By year 3 you are on an hourly rate (I forget what it is, but its on airline pay central website). Quite a bit more compared to what you guys see in the USA, but we gave up a lot of concessions through Air Canada's bankruptcy in 2001, and the pay was hit hard.

We have our contract negotiations coming up as well. In fact, EVERYONE associated with Air Canada (CSAs, rampies, mechanics, pilots, FAs, etc) has their contract up at the same time. There is going to be some chaos come fall as there is absolutely no way all groups will settle. There is already talk of a strike, I hope not though.

Well, I just put in my stuff and wrote on the application that I'm willing and able to get Canadian liscenses. Probably won't get a call. I just don't want to convert everythig and pay for the new liscense if I can't even get an interview.

You think they would even look at my app with no Canadian liscenses? Anyone know where I could convert my ratings? I'm sure it's not something you could do on-line is it?

Here is a link I found from Transport Canada (our version of the FAA) about license conversion- http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/personnel/USConversion.htm

Also, http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/general/personnel/USConversion/AppendixA.htm

There was a thread on avcanada recently about converting a Canadian ATPL to an FAA one and the process was fairly simple. Get an FAA medical, get your license and paperwork verified in Oklahoma, write the US ATP exam, and go in person to an FAA approved office to hand it in and walk out with your ATP. Im sure the process is similar for converting FAA ATP to Canadian.

Having said that, having the Canadian license is useless unfortunately, unless you have the right to work in Canada. No Canadian airline would be able to hire you without it, likewise no Canadian can work in the USA without a greencard.

I dont notice a difference between michigan and ontario accents, then again I grew up on the michigan-ontario border. But if you say "eh" a lot in the interview, thatll score you extra points. Bring a 12-pack of Molson Canadian and the job is yours!

hah, I hope this helps someone. From what I understand the Canadien government has a very open stance towards foreigners entering their country and even encourages them to keep their customs. I would recommending calling up either company and asking what they think. See if their willing to consider you before you even spend any money. In pprune someone mentioned they actually want a little bit more in terms of flight time these days, such as a type and jet time. But at least their hiring!

I dont notice a difference between michigan and ontario accents, then again I grew up on the michigan-ontario border. But if you say "eh" a lot in the interview, thatll score you extra points. Bring a 12-pack of Molson Canadian and the job is yours!

I flew Air Canada from Cleveland to Toronto, then on to Tokyo back in October. On the flight from Toronto to Tokyo, the girl beside me informed me that I have a very heavy American accent.

I found that very weird because I didn't notice any difference at all in the way she talked compared to me.

I flew Air Canada from Cleveland to Toronto, then on to Tokyo back in October. On the flight from Toronto to Tokyo, the girl beside me informed me that I have a very heavy American accent.

I found that very weird because I didn't notice any difference at all in the way she talked compared to me.
I guess thats better than being told I have a Canadian accent:banghead:

Alaskans, or atleast the town I come from has this thing against Canada:p

Back