AIM regulatory?

Very long story made short . . . .Not long ago we had problems with this very thing and the FAA DID get involved. Some bozo on the ground at an uncontrolled field would freak out when our pattern entries were not exactly as perscribed by the AIM. This included correcting the crews on CTAF when they did not follow the procedures exactly. (Mr. Bozo did not have the big picture in mind as In each case what was done pattern entry-wise was done to further avoid high terrain during night time conditions or for other safety reasons.) He got the FAA involed and while no violations occured, investigations did. What followed was a lot of legal stink and headaches before everything was happily resolved. This guy really needed a girlfriend or something better to do with his free time. :mad:

Sooooo my point is we can argue if the AIM is regulatory or not, but not sticking with it can cause you unnecessary drama. Following it when you can is a darn good idea as it will keep you out of trouble and off the radar in most cases.
36U?

I have heard so many bozos crying about the 45 to the left downwind for 21 there. I have just said roger and continued on my merry way.

Yeah that was the overall sentiment. I love when people get on regulatory, vigalante-esque high horses over certain aspects of aviation.

Oh I hear you. Like the "OMG, you're setting up for a STRAIGHT-IN!?!?!? That's SO unsafe and illegal!!!!" crowd. :D

or he needed an ass-kicking down the ramp.....

If you still have access to one of those A-10s pick me up I'll tie him between the engines and you can take him for a spin while I record it for the friends here at JC!

Oh I hear you. Like the "OMG, you're setting up for a STRAIGHT-IN!?!?!? That's SO unsafe and illegal!!!!" crowd. :D

I don't really care, I just don't like the straight in people that have no idea how far they are from the airport. I had someone call 3 miles when they were at least 7 miles from the airport. They also had a G1000 to help! Also when the pattern is full it jacks up everyone's patterns.

I don't really care, I just don't like the straight in people that have no idea how far they are from the airport. I had someone call 3 miles when they were at least 7 miles from the airport. They also had a G1000 to help! Also when the pattern is full it jacks up everyone's patterns.
Yeah, that is what pisses me off, doing a straight in that jacks up the already established pattern traffic.

We have this Remos LSA locally that does it all the damn time, and his position reports are not in distance but "By the mountains" (which mountains?), "over the highway" (the highway parallels the straight in the whole way), "Over the city" (real specific).

Yeah, that is what pisses me off, doing a straight in that jacks up the already established pattern traffic.

We have this Remos LSA locally that does it all the damn time, and his position reports are not in distance but "By the mountains" (which mountains?), "over the highway" (the highway parallels the straight in the whole way), "Over the city" (real specific).

Time and place gentlemen, time and place. There's a time and place for a straight-in. I do them all the time IF there's little to no traffic at the time (why waste my time setting up a pattern if I'm nearly the only one there). If the pattern is in use, then of course good judgement dictates (if at all possible) to join the crowd and not muck up the established pattern. Then, reporting position on final accurately is important too. Point is, straight-ins are perfectly fine and not unsafe IF done at the right time/place.

I had an FAA Safety Inspector tell me on my CFI checkride that the FAA cannot do anything to you if you continuously make left turns. However, if you make one single right turn at a standard pattern. The FAA can enforce because it's the law that VFR is left hand traffic. (unless in the AF/D of course)

I had an FAA Safety Inspector tell me on my CFI checkride that the FAA cannot do anything to you if you continuously make left turns. However, if you make one single right turn at a standard pattern. The FAA can enforce because it's the law that VFR is left hand traffic. (unless in the AF/D of course)

The fact that he said that does not make it true, unless he is now FAA AGC-1, Chief Counsel. Even then, the opinion can change.

The fact that he said that does not make it true, unless he is now FAA AGC-1, Chief Counsel. Even then, the opinion can change.
§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace. (a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class G airspace area must comply with the requirements of this section.
(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace—
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right;

Not just VFR traffic.

But that's true, because the requirement for left hand turns for landing (unless the airport requires right hand turns) is a regulation, not just an AIM recommendation.

Back