Ailrine Pilot's: Performance Appraisal?

PA44

Ailrine Pilot\'s: Performance Appraisal?

Doug, or any other airline pilots on the forum: How do you guys receive performance appraisals? Yearly, six months? And what are you guys appraised on? customer service etc. Is turbulence avoidance a factor. According to my psych professor pilots are appraised on how well they avoid turbulence!!!

Re: Ailrine Pilot\'s: Performance Appraisal?

Nope! I just do recurrent training once per year and that's about it.

Last thing I want is some non-flying yahoo judging me on those factors!

I agree with Doug. I get recurrent training once a year and that's it. All you have to do is meet the standards for the checkride and you're good to go. In theory, you could get line checked at any time. That's the closest thing to a performance eval I can think of. I haven't been line checked in years. Also, the FAA can do ramp or flight inspections. I get ramped about twice a year and a Fed on board maybe once every three years. For either of those events there are standards you have to meet. No extra points during the year for doing a good job....that boils down to personal pride and wanting to do a good job for your peers.

There are no incentives from the company to do a good job or go the extra mile. This isn't like a normal job.....

We are suppose to get reviews every year on our pay anniversary date. I am ramper in ATL but until this year it had been 1999 since my last one. Show a lot of consistency with supervision at Delta. I still got my raise those years though and thats all I wanted.

I'll have to track you down when I have my long 'productivity sits' in ATL. BTW, I should be based there in a few more months but NOT leaving PHX.

Look forward to it Doug. Everytime I work a MD88 I look for the infamous face in the right seat.

So how do the airlines handle problem attitudes?

I freakin get recurrent training every freakin day!
grin.gif

Aloft, when airlines encounter people with attitude, and or personality problems they simply put them in Management positions.

tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Aloft, when airlines encounter people with attitude, and or personality problems they simply put them in Management positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH!

For us captains have 6 month and 1 year recurrent. FOs have 1 year recurrent. I think that we now do 6 month checks with the captains in the FTD. We also have an annual GOS and systems class.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that they generally let them hang themselves beyond any help from the union. The only thing that I have heard of pilots being dismissed for is alcohol violations and aircraft damage combined with bad attitude.

'Problem' pilots, or pilots with attitudes are usually dealt with through the unions professional standards committee. It is generally considered a breach of ettiquitte to report problems with a fellow crewmember directly to management. Talk to the person first, if that doesn't help, leave a note in your pro standards representatives mailbox/email/voicemail. There's a set list of things that these union reps do to help sort out 'situations', and if the union hears many complaints about someone help can be offered. The company's disciplinary procsess is hopefully only used as a last resort. However if something REALLY serious happens sometimes it is necessary to report it directly to the company immediately.

At least that's how we did it at Eagle & AA.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is how they handle it at United....

Due to our current financial situation, management has decided to implement a scheme to put 75% of all employees on an early retirement. This scheme will be known as RAPE (Retire All People Early).

Persons selected to be RAPED can apply to management to be eligible for the SHAFT scheme (Special Help After Forced Termination). Persons who have been RAPED and SHAFTED will be reviewed under the SCREW scheme (Scheme Covering
Retired Early Workers). A person may be RAPED once, SHAFTED twice and SCREWED as many times as management deems appropriate.

Only persons who have been RAPED can receive AIDS (Additional Income for Dependents of Spouse) or HERPES (Half Earnings for Retired Personnel Early Severance). Obviously, persons who have AIDS or HERPES will not be SHAFTED or SCREWED any further by management.

Persons staying on will receive as much S**T (Special High Intensity Training) as possible. Management has always prided itself on the amount of S**T it gives employees. Should you feel that you do not receive enough S**T, please bring to the attention of your supervisor. They have been trained to give you all the S**T you can handle.

I think that pretty much covers it, don't you?

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Doug, if this is out of line, feel free to pull it. I just got this tonight from a friend of mine and thought it was hilarious. There's a couple of lines that I edited out because it was a little too blunt to share.

Problem people at Delta get promoted..If you want to move up the ladder hit an airplane or tear something up thats expensive and you get promoted. The Delta way.

Back