AGI

Acadia

When I was taking all of my writtens a year and a half ago took the AGI & IGI writtens. I have the Lazer Grade originals, but I have never turned them into the FAA. How does one apply the written to having an actual AGI or IGI? I dont really need either, but I figured I should get them since I shelled out the money for the tests.

Take the completed writtens, along with a completed 8710 form (the hour breakdown doesn't have to be filled out though) to your local FSDO, and an inspector will issue your ground instructor certificate.

You didnt have to take the IGI if you took the AGI. The AGI covers all certificates and ratings. Of course, this is like so many other topics that Ive ran across in the FARs, Ive heard different things from different sources, but my local FSDO and AOPA both said the same thing. I was interested because I would like to get my AGI also before I get my CFI.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, this is like so many other topics that Ive ran across in the FARs, Ive heard different things from different sources, but my local FSDO and AOPA both said the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you and they were correct! It's right there in black and white:

61.215(b) A person who holds an advanced ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:
(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of any certificate or rating under this part;
(2) Ground training required for any flight review; and
(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of any certificate under this part.

I realize the FAR's say "...ANY certificate or rating...", however, the question bank for the IGI is the same as the Instrument Rating and CFII. The question bank from the AGI comes from the CFI bank. The questions in each are quite different, which leads me to believe that you do in fact need the IGI to sign off an instrument student for a written, or teach IFR ground school or whatever. I really don't know...and it doesn't matter much to me either, since I have both my AGI and IGI (not to mention CFI/CFII)...I'm just curious.

Any comments or opinions on this?

EatSleepFly, you bring up a valid point....a point that I thought of and why I originally started calling around. But, once I called around and then rethought everything and reread the text, it says any certficate or rating under this part. The part would be all of 61, which is certification of pilots, flight and ground instructors. All of the actual regs are subparts. At least that is the way I am translating it.

I have to say something else on the matter though. It kind of ticks me off that it almost takes an actual lawyer to translate even the simplest parts of the FARs (since they were written by one), and not all inspectors (who hold you to their own laws) can translate them or you get two different answers from two different FSDOs.

So, based on the FARS from above posts, do you have to have an AGI or IGI to give ground instruction or will a CFI certificate suffice? The FARS say an AGI is good for flight review ground instruction. What if I am a CFI without an AGI, does that mean I can't give a flight review?

Each Flight Instructor certificate has "ground privileges" included in it but they are limited to the certificate you hold. I.E. CFI (ground on private, commercial, CFI, etc.) CFII (instrument) etc.

So if you were a CFI you could give ground related to the limits of the certificate (i.e. not signoff or ground on instrument stuff). If you had a CFI and an AGI you could give ground on anything and sign off any written test but flight instruction would be limited to the CFI priviliges.

In otherwords. No you do not need a ground certificate if you hold a flight instructor certificate.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No you do not need a ground certificate if you hold a flight instructor certificate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. BUT, you DO need a ground instructor certificate to teach ground school under Part 141...CFI/CFII or not. Why? I do not know...it makes no sense to me either.

I'd guess because of the so-called "structured" nature of 141.

Do they pay their CFIs anymore for having to hold another certificate? I doubt it.
tongue.gif

Back