AGI prior to CFI

An FOI test pass is required for issue of a flight or ground instructors certificate. You can take the AGI written, but you will need an FOI written as well before they will issue the cert. If you already have any flight or ground instructor certs, it's proof you've passed the FOI written, so you don't need to do it again.

An FOI test pass is required for issue of a flight or ground instructors certificate. You can take the AGI written, but you will need an FOI written as well before they will issue the cert. If you already have any flight or ground instructor certs, it's proof you've passed the FOI written, so you don't need to do it again.

Ahh, ok that makes sense. Thanks for your help.

I got my AGI before I did the CFI thing. The FIA test (for the flight instructor cert), and the AGI test (for the ground instructor cert) are the exact same test. I took them both at the same time. I did the FIA first, then after I finished, I took a 10 minute break and started the AGI. I got a 84 on the first, then a 82 on the second (I can't remember exact scores, but I know the second one was 2 points lower) I already had the FOI completed, so I just filled out an 87-10, and took it, along with my AGI and FOI test results sheet to the nearest FSDO. They took my paperwork, did some typing, then presented me with the AGI certificate. A few weeks later I did my CFI ride, and all I had to do was show the DE my FIA test results, and my AGI certificate in place of the FOI. And contrary to what everyone in this threads thinks, an AGI is not worthless if you already have a CFI. There are some privileges an AGI gives you that a CFI doesn't (other then no expiration date). For instance, you can signoff anyone for any knowledge test. Balloon, Glider, Powered lift, etc. With just a CFI, you are limited to airplane tests.

I have my private, and I wish to attain my AGI for teaching ground school both at the FBO I'm presently flying out of and at the high school that's bringing an aeronautical program to the school.

Thanks for the replies.

MFT1Air, that sounds like a sweet little deal. And the FBO is okay with you being a PPL?

I think that it shows a dedication to the profession. There are multiple reasons to get both the AGI and IGI that just make sense for many people. I would try to encourage rather than discourage.

Hey, I just wanted to double check...

I am planning to take the FOI very soon with the intention of getting my AGI. I'll then take the FIA and will eventually move towards the CFI. With that in mind, I guess my question is, since I only have to take the FOI test once, do I bring my AGI certificate, test results, or both to the eventual CFI checkride? Also, I guess I'm a little confused, but why do I only have to take the FOI test once and the FIA test twice (once for AGI and once for CFI)? Is there a difference in the two test depending on what your going for? Why can't you just bring an AGI certificate to a CFI practical?

Thanks in advance.
As I see it, there are two reasons for any of the GIs (and the reason I got them).
1. Allows you get a gold seal CFI. Not a big deal, just a symbol.
2. When you sign people off for their writtens, you don't have the recordkeeping burden you do with a CFI. This was the main reason.

Maybe two more reasons:
3. It freezes your FOI, so your clock to complete the CFI isn't quite so urgent.
4. It's a good gauge of what your CFI/II scores might look like.

YMMV,
LC

Back