So ILL

Weightless
So I talked to guy called "Jim" on the Air Force.com chat window. He said I'm too old to be an Air Force pilot (will be 28 this December). Why does that contradict everything I see on the internet? I thought you are good as long as you go to UPT before you're 29? Anyone kno?

I had a somewhat similar conversation with a government employee one time. I thought about what he said for a few days and then called again. The second call, received by a different person, yielded a completely different answer. I'd recommend going back and asking the question again.

The issue you have is that the date you get to UPT is not immediate. First you need to do officer school, and then it could be a year before you get a UPT date (assuming that even happens). And the slots are extremely limited to begin with.

A guard unit might be more inclined to get a waiver, but even then, timing is too close.

Your odds would be somewhat better with ROTC (more slots), but it is too late for that.

Disclaimer, I am not an expert on this, I was AFTOTC 15 years ago and was not looking for a pilot slot.

I pulled this straight off baseops.net
Because pilot and navigator candidates must enter training prior to their 30th birthdays, you must be scheduled to graduate and receive your commission prior to your 29th birthday. This cannot be waived (refernce: AFROTCI 36-2013 paragraph 3.2.4).

I'm 27 now so surely it cant be "too late" if I go to OTS in the next year. I'm just wondering b/c I cant seem to catch the recruiter here lately.

You'd probably be cutting it close. I got my pilot slot through OTS and it does take a long time to get through the system and that's if you've got a recruiter that's on top of things. Assuming everything is still the same, rated boards meet twice a year (one this fall). So you'd be 28 by the time you applied and got your slot. I waited a year and a half for my OTS class date and seems like the average is about a year to a year and a half. After OTS you could wait another 6 months+ to start UPT so don't know if you could make it in time. By all means, pursue it if you want it but have a plan B.

You'd probably be cutting it close. I got my pilot slot through OTS and it does take a long time to get through the system and that's if you've got a recruiter that's on top of things. Assuming everything is still the same, rated boards meet twice a year (one this fall). So you'd be 28 by the time you applied and got your slot. I waited a year and a half for my OTS class date and seems like the average is about a year to a year and a half. After OTS you could wait another 6 months+ to start UPT so don't know if you could make it in time. By all means, pursue it if you want it but have a plan B.

What are you flying now again?

Back when I looked into the AF in 2003, this was the criteria;

3.3. Age Criteria. The minimum age for application to OTS is 18. The maximum age will depend upon
the program for which the applicant is applying and for which there is available training. Prior military
service will not be subtracted from an OTS applicant's age.

3.3.1. Applicants applying for specialized undergraduate pilot training (SUPT) or specialized
undergraduate navigator training (SUNT) must enter an undergraduate flying training (UFT) class before
reaching age 30 or they will be rendered ineligible for UFT. Additionlly, they will be briefed that failure
to complete OTS in time to enter UFT by age 30 could result in their discharge from the Air Force. To
allow for sufficient time for selection, physical certification and class assignment, UFT applicants must
meet a selection board before the applicant turns 28 1/2. Coordination with HQ AFRS/RSOCL is
required if the applicant will not meet a board before age 28 1/2. If approved, the applicant must contain
the following statement, signed by the applicant, on a piece of plain bond paper:

"I am submitting my application with the understanding that, if selected and physically
qualified, I must enter OTS early enough to follow on and enter UFT before age 30. If the
Air Force is unable to place me in an OTS class that would facilitate the same, my
selection as a (pilot/navigator) will be withdrawn."

Looks like they just increased the age to 29 from 28 1/2... This was back then in AETCI 36-2002. Nice I still have it.

New pub is http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFRSI36-2001.pdf and relevant para. seems to be this;

6.2.1. Verification of Age, Citizenship, Name, and Financial Eligibility: Refer to Table 1.1,
chapters 2 and 4.
6.2.1.1. Rated Age. Applicants must be able to complete the selection process; receive a
conferred degree prior to age 29; attend BOT; medical flight screening (MFS) (pilots and
RPA only), Air Space Basic Course (ASBC), the Evasion Conduct After Capture
(ECAC) course, Introductory Flight Screening (IFS), if applicable, and enter
undergraduate Pilot, RPA, CSO or ABM training prior to age 30 (this equates to
approximately 30 weeks of training prior to their skills training). Age waivers and ETPs
are not authorized for rated applicants who are not able to enter rated training prior to age
30. Rated applicants must initial the rated age statement on AF Form 56, item 22B. Refer
to paragraph 6.2.8.2 for age critical physical requirements.

Hope this helps...

Back