Age limit for an Airline

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way the FO's will not fly everyday full time, so its not like im out everyday flying for free. Maybe once a week, if even.

Yeah, and I only kick puppy dogs a few days a week so that doesn't make me a bad person right?

Look, you came and ask for advice and you got it. Not ONE PERSON who has replied even remotely implied this is a good thing. And that feedback came from, by my count, 4 regional FOs, a Delta pilot, an AirTran Pilot and a Freight Dog.

The problem is, the response they gave you isn't the one you wanted to hear. Sucks when that happens, but that's reality. So from here on out you've got two options. A) take the advice and find other ways to get your multi time. If you really don't feel like CFIing is for you (and as far as I'm concerned that's BS... I've never seen somebody who honestly can't instruct, although I've seen plenty of people who don't want to) then fine, there are tons of other things out there, but they take a little effort to find. B) ignore the advice here and go be a seat warmer and gain "knowledge" but no pay while keeping down the chances of a bunch of other people actually making a living while getting started in this industry.

But the one thing you shouldn't do is try to argue for the posistion of the response you hoped to hear when you first posed the question.

I mean if you read my post and the title you would see the question is asking is there an age limit for an airline, and if so would it be for insurance reason.

An attempt to ignore the real issue that impacts all professional pilots, no matter what age, or insurance requirements.

Age, and insurance. . .don't really matter anymore. Not after mentioning willing to goto work - for free.

Sorry. We're trying to guide you through to making a wise professional decision. First, we must address the fact that you're willing to work for free, while other professional pilots are out on the street - with bills to pay, and mouths to feed.

You on the other hand, think it's okay to take a job for free. Thankfully you haven't mentioned you'd be willing to PAY for the opportunity to sit in the seat, keeping it warm. I hope you're not thinking of such a thing.

Surely you see why this is a touchy issue, and is not going to just disappear.

Once we can get you past the point that this is a bad idea, then we'll address the age and insurance requirements.

I mean the FO program is non a paying job so none of the FO's get paid so its not like im out bidding people.

I mean the FO program is non a paying job so none of the FO's get paid so its not like im out bidding people.

First off, you wouldn't be out bidding people, you'd be under bidding people. But that's not the issue.

Sure, WingsAir may be a bunch of cheap bastards and not pay ANY of their FOs, but plenty of other places flying the exact same equipment do pay. So the problem is, people like you go fly for free at WingsAir and the guy down the street at PeachtreeCityCharters who, up until now has paid his FOs to sit in the Navajo says "hmm... WingsAir doesn't pay and the've got people who will do it, so why should I pay?" And all of the sudden all of the PeachtreeCityCharter FOs are out of a paying job BECAUSE OF YOU.

That's why people are responding the way they are.

EDIT: And Josh, didn't your momma ever tell you that if you've got nothing nice/constructive/useful to say not to say anything?

And just so it is clear - PeachtreeCityCharter is a fictional company...

Although, the company down in the Peachtree City area that is getting into the Charter game will be paying all required crew members well, and. . .treat them with respect.

EDIT: And Josh, didn't your momma ever tell you that if you've got nothing nice/constructive/useful to say not to say anything?

What!? This. . .?

Oh okay. . .hmm. . .now that you mention that, sounds like a great gig!

Not

That's not mean, that is constructive. Doesn't really make a difference, still warming a seat - for free much less.

Nice, nah, perhaps not. . .but taking a job that doesn't pay you, especially in this industry isn't a nice thing either.

Or was it something else? Like most, the gloves are not as padded as before. Especially when it is becoming increasingly clear that no matter what method of communication and information dissemination, this young chap will still think it's a GREAT opportunity.

Let us go WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY back here. Are you being accepted into the ATC program at 18 right out of High School?

Isn't there an age for becoming ATC?

The FAA is desperate since a number of CTI grads told them to screw off since they're tired of being screwed.

I mean if you read my post and the title you would see the question is asking is there an age limit for an airline, and if so would it be for insurance reason.
does anyone have an answer for this?

ya'll already gave him your best shot in trying to educate Kmarceri about going to a job that *should* make a wage but *won't*...which i totally agree with...certainly not a way to help lift up the profession and guarantee yourself a decent wage when you need one.

so i think if you answer the above question(s), then the thread will be answered for the question that was originally posted :)

The age limit to be a FO on a part 121 airline is 18 because you have to be 18 to have a CPL. There was a 19 year old in my initial newhire class.

To accept compensation, (which flying for free is), you'd need to be 18 for the CPL (which you have). There is no age limit (min age) for part 135 or 121. You need 18 for a commercial and 23 for an ATP. Perhaps this "airline" has a min age as part of an insurance requirement. That's something outside the scope of FAR's.

In any case, working as a required crewmember for free to build time sets a bad precedent for the industry and certainly won't make you any friends. It's a small world. My advice to you, if you do this, is to cancel your JC memebership at once. Never partake in an online pilot community. And never speak of this to anyone...ever.

I'm not kidding.

Wait, I just realized that this is in the Atlanta area. This BS is going on right up the street?! Uh uh. Gonzo, let me know if you get that M & G together. As a "reformed" PFTer, I'll be happy to talk to this guy about why this is a very bad idea.

Yeah, and I only kick puppy dogs a few days a week so that doesn't make me a bad person right?

Look, you came and ask for advice and you got it. Not ONE PERSON who has replied even remotely implied this is a good thing. And that feedback came from, by my count, 4 regional FOs, a Delta pilot, an AirTran Pilot and a Freight Dog.

The problem is, the response they gave you isn't the one you wanted to hear. Sucks when that happens, but that's reality. So from here on out you've got two options. A) take the advice and find other ways to get your multi time. If you really don't feel like CFIing is for you (and as far as I'm concerned that's BS... I've never seen somebody who honestly can't instruct, although I've seen plenty of people who don't want to) then fine, there are tons of other things out there, but they take a little effort to find. B) ignore the advice here and go be a seat warmer and gain "knowledge" but no pay while keeping down the chances of a bunch of other people actually making a living while getting started in this industry.

But the one thing you shouldn't do is try to argue for the posistion of the response you hoped to hear when you first posed the question.
there were 8 people, but 1 of them is a full time CFI trying to educate people about professionalism as well as teach 'em to fly ;)

Ok thanks for the advice, I WILL rethink my decision on whether doing this is best for me and my future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back