Age and flight training

JHines

Has anybody ever joined up at say, 31 (to any branch) and gotten a flight training slot, or is it just impossible if you're over 28 or whatever?

[ QUOTE ]
Has anybody ever joined up at say, 31 (to any branch) and gotten a flight training slot, or is it just impossible if you're over 28 or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

USAF has raised the max age for UPT to 30, if I'm not mistaken.

[ QUOTE ]
USAF has raised the max age for UPT to 30, if I'm not mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's correct. If you're really lucky you can get a waiver for that too. Chances for a waiver are better if you're already a pilot (better to have more than just a private certificate and more than 100 hours) and you're physical condition (eyesight included) is excellent.

Remember, in the USAF...there are No Games, No Politics, No Cookie-Cutter Pilots, just Training in the Real World. Oh wait, I think I've read that somewhere. Hmmm. Oh well, sounds pretty clever.

CB

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, in the USAF...there are No Games, No Politics, .

CB

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I feel better.

When did they change the age to 30? When did this happen. I had been told that the max was 29. I am changing careers and by the time I finished school I would be 30 thus making me ineligible. If they have raised the age to 30 looks like the air force may be an option again..

[ QUOTE ]
When did they change the age to 30? When did this happen. I had been told that the max was 29. I am changing careers and by the time I finished school I would be 30 thus making me ineligible. If they have raised the age to 30 looks like the air force may be an option again..

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost two years ago. By age 30, that means start pilot training before reaching age 30. That means complete all officer training (OTS, etc) prior to that.

Thanks for the info, Do you have any suggestions on who to contact. Do you call regular recruiters or someone else. I thought of contacting the ROTC at the University I am going to be attending. Is the ROTC a viable route into flight training or is there a better way.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info, Do you have any suggestions on who to contact. Do you call regular recruiters or someone else. I thought of contacting the ROTC at the University I am going to be attending. Is the ROTC a viable route into flight training or is there a better way.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're close to the age limit, ROTC may not work. The shortest timeframe they've got is a 2 year program for commissioning. If you've already got your degree, call an Air Force Officer recruiter. Any USAF recruiting office can get you the number to the officer recruiter that serves that area.

Back