after private flying

Timbuff10

Question for all you guys that alread have your PPL. After you are done with your private is it fairly easy to stay current and comfortable with your newfound abilities by flying just once a week for about 1.5 to 2.0 hrs?

I want to do some time building/gaining experience/think about things and save up more cash before starting the IFR training.

Is once a week enough?

Thanks guys

2 hours a week is not bad , especially if its 2- 1 hour flights a couple of days apart per week. I would also suggest you make the time constructive rather than just boring holes in the sky. Practice landings, slow flight, steep turns, stalls, etc. If your not comfortable, go with your instructor and work on the manuvers in question. The nice part of this is that the pressure of the checkride is behind you. Your instructor and you can take your time and have fun! If you can afford to fly more often, even better, but 2 hours a week should be fine while your saving up for the instrument rating. Another point to consider, maybe once in awhile you may want to fly a x-country, not only for the experience, but also for the instrument rating requirments. I would get out the FAR's and figure out what you need hours wise and work on that. Anyway this is just my 2 cents, hope it helps, Good luck and above all else, be safe!

My confidence level definately went down a bit after getting the certificate and going from flying 2-3 times a week to 2-3 times a month. But you force yourself to stay in the air and you find yourself getting more comfortable and more confident.

I did a few things to combat that initial drop in confidence:

-I kept a written list of things after every flight to work on for the next one.
-Every one or two months I'd do a flight to the practice area and work on maneuvers.
-I'd fly to new places on those other flights, keeping proficient in cross countries, new airports, and radio procedures.

Anyways, that's just what worked for me, your results may very
smirk.gif

yeah, the more i think about it the more i think it should be enough. I guess I will use this time to build some time while i think about where i want to get my instrument. Staying at the FBO or doing ATP's pilot program and bending over for that big loan.

Yeah i plan on mixing it up and practicing maneuvers for sure. no sense in killing time up there when it cost that much.

Any thoughts on if it is better to do a one hour flight twice a week or a 2 hour flight once a week? I would hate to waste all that time taxiing and holding short!

Thanks guys, Tim

missed that first post...

two 1hr flights is better i suppose at it keeps you flying more often.

Again the key is how productive you are.

Tim,

I would suggest flying a cross country once a week. Logging 2 hours of PIC cross country once a week will help you towards your instrument rating requirement of 40 (or 50) PIC hours. It would be good practice to visit other airport and while your at it. As long as one landing is made at an airport 50 miles away, you can log CC PIC while practicing landins, stalls, etc.

Back